Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

future M.D. with HIV testing question
Jul 18, 2005

Dear Dr. Frascino,

Thank you for your noble service.

I'm a male and my exposures are: 1. Insertive oral with condom [September 2004] 2. Insertive oral with condom + anal fingering [October 2004] 3. Negative HIV-1 ELISA, 89 days after October 2004 exposure [January 2005, Quest Diagnostics] 4. Received handjob + got my nipples licked[March 8, 2005] 5. Went to adult bookstore videobooth, put paper towel on bench next to me, after 20 minutes... masturbated and wiped tip of penis with same paper towel that was on bench, am afraid that there may have been semen (dried or slightly wet) on the bench; I did feel the bench afterwards and it felt dry to the touch [April 27, 2005]

I want to wait 13 weeks (July 27, 2005) after the adult bookstore videobooth incident to do HIV-1/2 ELISA. But my medical school wants updated medical records by July 22, 2005. I only took 2 of the 3 Hep B shots, so I'm sure my doc will make me take a Hep B shot before July 22, 2005. I'm afraid that this Hep B shot will mess up my window period.

Question 1: Will a 12 week ELISA (which I can take on July 20, 2005) be conclusive and definitive?

Question 2: Do I need to retest for HIV-2 for the September 2004 and October 2004 incidents?

Question 3: Medical student disability insurance is mandatory at my school. Do you think that HIV could prevent me from getting approved?

Thank you in advance. You are greatly admired.

Sincerely,

WFD (Worried Future Doc)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Future Doc,

First of all,

Hepatitis B vaccination will not affect HIV-antibody production, the duration of the window period or your HIV-1/2 ELISA test results. Now on to your questions:

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. If you were positive, yes. But from what you've told me, your risk of actually being positive is nonexistent.

Good luck. And study up on HIV in your medical school text books. I think you'll find the information reassuring.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared and confused! Could this be a rare strain? Help!!
Next
Worried in Washington -- no need to answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.