Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared and confused! Could this be a rare strain? Help!!
Jul 18, 2005

In an effort to keep this short and too the point I have experienced the following symptoms in approximately this order starting about 4 to 6 weeks after a couple exposures earlier this year. Most symptoms have lasted a few days to a few weeks with the noted exceptions.

23 April Asian provider; Deep kissing, unprotected insertive oral, protected vaginal 19 March French Canadian provider; Deep kissing, unprotected insertive oral, protected vaginal (2X)

Symptoms: Dry mouth, headache, slight rash, new skin spots, soar throat, tender lymph nodes in my neck and groin, a single oral sore on two occasions, sore feet, hip discomfort, blurry vision, short term memory loss, weight loss (~12 lbs.), abdominal cramps, dark tarry colored stools, constipation, extreme fatigue and sore muscles

Additional: - Foot pain remains and continues to worsen. Achy feeling worse in the evening. - Rapid weight loss of ~12 lbs (180 to 178) over two months regardless of eating much more than I normally eat. My weight stabilized and I have been able to regain 5 to 6 lbs. - Abdominal cramps (mostly right side) became sever, most notable after heavy meals. Dark tarry colored stools occurred about the same time and lasted about 5 days. Cramps lasted about 4 weeks and happen only occasionally now

Testing and concerns: (Referenced to 19 March) 3 1/2 weeks: HIV-1 RNA PCR (-) 5 1/2 weeks: HIV-1 RNA PCR (-) - Very concerned about the above test being only optimized for HIV-1 Subtype B 6 weeks: HIV-2 Proviral DNA PCR (-) - Very concerned about this test possibly missing other HIV-2 subtypes. OR being a false (-) due to a random 3 to 4 day delay in shipping from LabCorp San Diego to MN. I was assured all was OK. However, I am still concerned about DNA/RNA decay due to the shipping delay 7 weeks: HIV-1 Proviral DNA PCR (-) - Again, concerned about optimization for only HIV-1 Subtype B 8 weeks: HIV-1 EIA (-), HIV-2 EIA (-) - Yes. Still in window period. I know. 12 weeks: Oraquick Advance HIV-1/2 (finger stick) (-) 15 weeks: HIV-1 bDNA (RNA); <75 copies with comment Unable to calculate result since non-numeric result obtained for component test. What does this mean? 16 weeks: Oraquick Advance HIV-1/2 (finger stick) (-)

Maybe I had some minor abrasions in my genital area that were not protected from vaginal fluid? Could I have a rare strain of HIV-2? I understand it has spread to Europe and Asia? What else would cause foot pain? My feet never used to hurt like this. Same with my weight loss all of a sudden despite eating much, much more than I used to for awhile?

Mainly I am interested in knowing what holes you may see in my testing?

Please, please help!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You are interested in knowing what holes I see in your testing???? Hmmm . . . well let's see, you've had:

1. 2 HIV-1 RNA PCRS

2. 1 HIV-2 Proviral DNA PCR

3. 1 HIV-1 Proviral DNA PCR

4. 1 HIV-1 EIA

5. 1 HIV-2 EIA

6. 2 OraQuick Advance HIV-1/2

7. 1 HIV-1 branched chain DNA

All of these tests have been negative and you've tested out to 16 weeks. So let's see what could be missing??? Hmmm . . . a partridge in a pear tree???

My advice would have been to get a single ELISA test three months after your last potential exposure, if you were worried about HIV transmission from these very low-risk situations (unprotected insertive oral and protected vaginal sex). All the rest of your tests are, in my opinion, unnecessary and excessive, as well as a waste of your time, blood and financial resources. As you can see, the results from all your tests merely corroborate what the single three-month test would have told you: you are HIV negative.

Whatever is causing your "symptoms," it's not HIV. Could you have a "rare strain of HIV-2?" No, you could not.

I don't see a hole in your testing, but rather a mountain of unnecessary waste.

My advice is to stop testing and stop chasing a disease you could not possibly have.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Progression
Next
future M.D. with HIV testing question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.