MRSA as a symptom of HIV

First off, I'd like to say you are the coolest, most respectful, humorous and downright righteous doctor dude ever. Alright, enough of my Jeff Spicoli impression from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. But honestly, what you are doing here touches so many lives. And for that, kind Sir, I am going to make a donation of $300 to your organization whether this gets a response or not (first donation, certainly not the last). I hope you go to sleep at night realizing how much your selflessness benefits others. I firmly believe there is a spot within the Pearly Gates with your name on it when the Good Lord calls you home (which I hope is not for another 40 or 50 years!)

About a year ago I had sex with a high risk female and upon reentry into her vagina, the condom broke. I know that I never entered her unprotected, but may have engaged in some unplanned frottage for a matter of seconds due to the breakage. I'm wondering about my risk given that I had some minor chaffing or cuts on my penis if it came into contact with vaginal fluid.

In the past three weeks I have had MRSA on my hand and just this last week I had it via an abscess on my inner right thigh. The location of this has made for some humorous jokes that have made me laugh, but my masked fears of potentially being a symptom of HIV have taken away some of my enjoyment from the joking festivities.

So to sum up, my questions are:

What is my risk from the activity above? By the way, I'm never having sex again until marriage if I'm lucky enough to be neg.

What are the chances that the MRSA is a symptom of HIV infection (being an internet MD, I notice that MRSA can develop more frequently in the advanced HIV stage, but could I progress that quickly within one year? I feel fine otherwise)

And finally, am I just out of my freaking mind and worrying unnecessarily about HIV from this episode? I hope you'll tell me yes and that I need a psychiatric evaluation for an irrational fear.

I also wanted to ask how you were doing. How are you feeling these days? I hope you are doing well and that you continue to experience good health, and I wish nothing but the best for your brother. I notice from your responses he is not doing so well. I will make sure to keep you both in my prayers.

Huge Dr. Bob fan in the Midwest

Hey Midwest MRSA Guy,

So you want DRDD (downright righteous doctor dude) to discuss MRSA and HIV? Sounds like alphabet soup, but OK, on to your questions:

1. HIV risk from your "unplanned frottage" with "minor chaffing" would be extremely minimal to nonexistent. But as always, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get tested at the three-month mark.

2. MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) is not a symptom of HIV infection.

3. Are you just out of your freaking mind, worrying unnecessarily about HIV??? Yeah, that's a succinct and accurate assessment.

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers for both my brother and me, as well as for your generous contribution! Both are warmly appreciated. I'll send my best good-luck karma back in your direction for health, peace and happiness.

DRDD Bob

Night Sweats
JC again - last time, I promise!!