Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TWELVE negative ELISAs out to 24 weeks!
Jul 15, 2005

Hi Doc,

It's me, JC, again. I asked about donating blood to the Red Cross with negative home access tests out to 24 weeks. Actually, and now I'm very embarassed to say it, but I had tests at 2,4,6,8,9,10,11,12,19,20,22, and 24 weeks! I know, I know, that money could have been used for so much more. I just kept having symptoms. First I had stomach problems (starting the next day!) and couldn't eat, and lost 20 pounds. It turned out I had an internal hernia. Then, about 3 weeks after my "encounter" (kissing, receiving oral), I started feeling tingling in my legs, which I am still feeling to this very day (9 months later). Turned out I have lumbar disc disease. Anyway, so I kind of freaked out.

I just wanted to thank you again, and I will never, ever, have unsafe sex again. And I plan on donating to the Red Cross each and every time they call (about every two months). Do you think there is any chance my blood is not safe?? :-)

Thanks again, and take good care of yourself and your partner,

JC

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey J.C.,

You've had negative tests at 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 19, 20, 22 and 24 weeks and you are wondering if I think there is any chance your blood is not safe??? Hmmm . . . Actually, I wonder if you have any blood left to donate! You've already given enough in repetitive, excessive and totally unwarranted tests to keep Dracula happy for centuries.

My opinion about your blood safety and HIV status has not changed from my last response to you.

Stop testing! Please.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Lonely Democrat in TX--follow up question
Next
HIV Tongue in my ass

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.