Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I wanna woo hoo
Jul 14, 2005

Dr. Bob,

I am a 21 year old female... To make it short, my bf and I split up and he had sex with another girl (I did not know this when we got back together). Anyway, I have had 2 neg HIV test, but people are telling me eventhough they were almost 3 months after my bf and I got back together, the test are not conclusive because we continued to have unprotected sex after we first got back together. Anyway... I have been breaking out in hives for over 2 months, would this be related to HIV in anyway? If the hives were caused by an HIV infection, would HIV show up in the blood test? I am a registered respiratory therapist and have some understanding of the immune system.... if chronic hives were due to a viral infection what type of hypersensitivity would this be? We have pretty much rulled out any food or drug allergy. I really haven't had any other symptoms, only a sore throat for a few days. I was also given one pack of steroids for the hives, and given a steroid shot at the hospital, I know that corticosteroids can suppress the immune system. But would only one pack of steroids affect your HIV test? My bf has not tested yet but I ordered 2 home HIV test, I did not realize until after I bought them that they were not FDA approved! Should we still use them? Thank you so much for your time. I just wanted to say that I have a great deal of respect for you. I know that you make jokes about republicans a lot and sometimes I agree (eventhough I am a republican) I just wanted you to know that not all republicans agree with all of Pres. Bush's views, such as gay marriage! Thanks very much.. K from texas

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello K.,

More HIV confusion from Texas? I guess Dubya's abstinence-only sex education programs are really paying off down there, eh?

An HIV test should be taken three months after your last potential HIV exposure to be considered conclusive.

Hives are a very common dermatological condition and not specifically linked to HIV. Many cases are idiopathic (i.e. we never figure out the cause). I recommend you follow-up with a Board-Certified allergist if this condition is chronic or recurrent.

I do not recommend you use HIV tests that do not have FDA approval.

Yes, I agree many Republicans do not agree with Dubya or his policies. In fact, a bumper sticker I saw when I was in Texas recently summed it up nicely: "Now even Jesus hates Bush."

Good luck on your HIV test, K.!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Steamy with a hunky flight attendant
Next
Pay it forward...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.