Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

about to get get tested, a BIG question before i go.
Jul 14, 2005

I am a heterosexual male 25. I have had many female partners, some with protection, some without. I live in the U.S. and I am circumcised. And I do not use any drugs. After reading through this site and many, many others. I am very surprised at how few heterosexual men report getting HIV, (at least over the net). HIV has always been a concern of mine, yet it seems that In my specific demographic there is so little info., and/or cases being diagnosed. I am going to get tested anyway, And I would like to say I am really impressed with this site and the good work being done here, I also hope not to sound too uninformed, and or naive. But I wonder still, how is this the case. Are hetero males not getting tested, or is the risk that minute? Am I one of the few hetero males, not having sex with sex workers on this site with concerns. It is very fascinating to me. I even read on multiple sites, that healthcare workers in N.Y. called a heterosexual male who claimed to have gotten HIV from his girlfriend a liar. I am curious to know, in your vast experience with this horrible disease, what is your take on HIV and the heterosexual male, non drug user. I know that getting tested and being safe is the best bet. But is female to male transmission via vaginal sex, really that remote. Is there some giant government cover up going on here, or are strictly hetero, drug free men really not getting this disease, what is the real story here???? It seems this might be the most taboo of questions related to this disease. I really just want to know the truth. I hope my test is negative, regardless and I wish everyone reading this the best. I thank you for your time and appreciate any response.

- Confused Hetero in Dallas

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dallas Dude,

Gosh, another "confused hetero" from Texas??? How close is Dallas from Crawford? Are you related to Tom DeLay? Oh, never mind . . . .

HIV is a virus. Unlike the rightwing wingnut religious zealots, HIV doesn't really care if you're gay, straight, bi-curious, tranny or a cross-dressing Mormon midget doing a Texas two-step.

The latest statistics (from the 2005 National HIV Prevention Conference) reveal over one million Americans are now infected with HIV and 25 percent of those do not even know they've contracted the virus. By transmission category, here's how the U.S. statistics break down for people living with HIV:

45% -- men who have sex with men 27% -- high-risk heterosexual contact 22% -- injection drug users

Of the estimated 1,000,000 HIV-positive Americans, 74% are male.

Hopefully these statistics will convince you that transmission via vaginal sex is far from remote.

Giant government cover-up??? Hmmm . . . perhaps concerning Karl Rove or Tom DeLay, but not heterosexual HIV transmission.

Good luck with your HIV test!

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Red Cross donation
Next
Caregiver of HIV exposed infant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.