Scared man

Hi Doc, You provide a great service on this site! I'm in my mid-40's, atheletic. I'm not active generally sexually, due to fears of disease, and resposibilies as a divorced father of four. In April of this year, I had intercourse twice with a woman I had just met a few days earlier. I used a condom each time. The first time, the condom slipped down to cover the head, but not the entire shaft. The second time I made sure was pulled all the way up.

Later when I confronted her about STDs and HIV she became angry and told me not to call her back.

About 3.5 weeks later got flu-like sickness with sore throught, diahhrea, and dehydration, thirst, white tongue, stomach gurgling sounds. No night sweats, fever or rash. At 5 weeks, went to Urgent Care, PA ran CBC and Met Panel. Lymps 1,400 (17%), WBC 8.3, Neuts 6,200 (75%). Stool culture had no bacteria. She said that everything was fine and gave me diahhrea medicine. At 6 weeks, went to see a GP, who reviewed the same blood work. I told him about incident and he said that I was fine - no need for HIV-1/HIV-2 AB test. I insisted and came back nonreactive at 6.3 weeks. At 9 weeks, I was still having stomach bloating and white tongue with lesions. He re-ran the blood panels - everything was in range, with Lymph at 1600 (31%) and Neuts at 3000 (58%). I know that Massachusetts has a 6 week window period. Are the lab numbers indicative of seroconversion? How good is the 6.3 week AB test? This has been an incredible difficult period. I've been drinking alot and have stressed my entire family. Any insight or guidance on the lab results / testing is helpful. I'm sending a donation! Thanks!

You are "not active generally sexually due to fears of disease, and 'resposibilies' as a divorced father of four . . . ." OK, so in April you had sex twice with a woman you had just met ??? And now you state "I've been drinking a lot and have stressed my entire family." Hmmm . . . sounds to me like you are active sexually and not living up to your family "resposibilies" very well at the moment. By the way, what the hell are "resposibilies???"

OK, on to your questions. You had protected sex twice. On one occasion the condom slipped a bit but covered the action end of your one-eyed monster. Consequently your HIV risk is essentially nil. So after your main squeeze became your ex-main squeeze, because you "confronted her about STDs and HIV," you developed some symptoms and were evaluated first at an urgent care center and then by your GP. Blood work on both occasions was normal. You then "insisted" on getting an HIV-1/2 antibody test at 6.3 weeks, which was negative. Does that sum things up? So you want to know:

1. Are the lab numbers indicative of seroconversion? Dude, you've already been told twice your lab numbers are "fine." I agree.

2. A 6.3-week negative HIV test is encouraging, but not definitive. If you feel you've placed yourself at risk, you should get tested at three months.

As for "any insight or guidance," I feel your fears are unwarranted. You clearly state you have " . . . fears of disease . . . ." I couldn't agree more. (I think your ex-girlfriend, the one who's about to put a restraining order out on you, would agree as well.) I do not believe HIV is your problem. In other words, I don't believe you have AIDS, but rather suffer from Fr'AIDS (fear of AIDS). I would strongly recommend you get counseling to help you cope with your anxiety and irrational fears. It should also help with your drinking problem.

Thank you for your donation!

$100 donation for answering question
Am I at risk?