Is it possible?

Hi Dr. Bob I know hiv cannot be transmitted by sharing objects or utensils, but let's say two people are sharing a crack pipe, one of which is hiv+, and both have blisters on their lips or possible cracked lips from the heat of the glass pipe. Is there a possibility of transmission considering the heat and exposure to air (probably drying the virus). In Canada they have a safe crack pipe kit program, they distribute new crack pipes to addicts so they don't share pipes and transmitting hiv. Yes I am worried that I may have been exposed in this fashion. I don't use anymore. I had bad sore Throat, fatigue, and low grade fever 2 weeks after incident. You have a great forum here and I will donate...Thanks

I'm not aware of any scientific clinical trials that have specifically examined this question. As you can imagine, conducting a clinical trial would be challenging (and unethical). "Crack heads with fried lips sign up here for an HIV transmission clinical trial!"

Actually, Canada is way ahead of the US (again) in this area of HIV infection prevention. We don't even have federally funded needle exchange programs or universal health care thanks to Dubya and friends. And don't even get me started on the medical marijuana madness or gay marriage hypocrisy.

Theoretically, I would anticipate it would be rather difficult to transmit HIV via crack pipe unless there was a significant amount of fresh infected blood and significantly "cracked" lips. If you are concerned, get tested at the three-month mark. And I probably don't have to say this, but crack, even with a safe-pipe kit, is bad news.

Thanks for your donation and willingness to help others.

Please stay safe.

Transmission - Non-Sexual
Cunnilingus & STI's: Scared to death