The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worring to die in Capital city of HIV/aids

Jul 9, 2005

please help. I went buseniss trip from Nairobi to Kampala(capital city of aids). My 2nd week there I went night club and picked up girl to my hotel room. I used condom but at the end the condom broke at front next to tip, all my semen gone into her. I also found out she was on her period. She refused to get test, I also promised her to give $300, but she declined. I started panicking, anxiety, no sleep, diahrea and worry to death. I went too many different doctors to get help, but everyone told to wait 3months.My third week I had sore throat and running nose, then dry cough. After 3weeks I went to private lab and tested. they use elisa, it was negative. the 4th week I tested again in same place the test was negative. I asked lab tech what is my chances of infected hiv if I test after 3 months, he said 90% I will be a negative. I came back Nairobi following. I have a wife here in Nbi. I came evening and told my wife I was sick and slept. Next morning I went Kenyatta Hospital and tried to see if I can get a Viral load test. They told me to go Nairobi University dept of medical which next to hospital. I met a doctor who incharge dpet of immunology, he said viral will take 3weeks to get result but my wife will get suspicious. He told me that they can test me with 4th generation of elisa which will combine antibody and p24 antigen and if I am negative I will be fine and go head have sexual contact with my wife.That was 32nd day. We did it, It was negative. I had sexed with my wife that night. After one week in the middle of night she woke up with sneezing, running nose, coughing, 2nd day she couldn't get up from bed, next day she developed a rash upper body but no fever. she felt tired and sick. I took her to the fammily doctor, he gave her antibiotics, cough syrup, painkiller. last night she told me that she has big red pimps in her genital or vagina. I also felt in my hand, it is in her vagina lips. Then I started throwing up and having diahrea. she asked me what happened why I get sick all suddenly, I didnot answer.

Now I am very sick, could not focus my job, worry to death, no apetite, I don't realy know what to do. It is 8 week but I scare to get test.

Do you think her symtoms are ARS.

What can I do in this situation. IS it 4th generation of elisa accurate and reliable in 32 days? why this docotr told me that I am safe and can have sex with my wife. thanks a lot.

excuse me for my rough English.

Response from Dr. Frascino


There is no doubt the condom failure did result in unprotected exposure, which places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. That you had negative ELISA tests at three and four weeks and also a negative 4th generation ELISA plus p24 antigen combo test on day 32 is very encouraging. However, although the vast majority of people who have contracted HIV would test positive on a day-32 combo test, personally, I still recommend a three-month test for a definitive and conclusive result.

At this point, I would recommend you level with your wife. It's the best way to confront your guilt and anxiety. A repeat ELISA should be taken at the three-month mark.

If your wife or you are continuing to have symptoms, see your physician for an evaluation. Automatically assuming these symptoms are HIV related is not wise or warranted.

I'll send you both my best good-luck karma that your HIV tests continue to be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Hey I saw you on "30 Days"!!
has anyone ever written back poz?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint