Immigration Status

I love your site. It's a great resource and you are very patient with a lot of worried people.

I'm one of them! I'm curious--as someone who is not an american citizen, could a postive HIV test effect my VISA status? Do you recommend anon HIV testing for non-us citizens living in the U.S?

I'm sorry if i'm repeating a questions...I couldn't find the answer in this forum.

An HIV-antibody test is required for people applying for legal permanent residency (green card status). You may be denied permanent status if you are HIV positive. However, if you're HIV positive and have close family ties living here, an exception (waiver) to the rule may be possible. Also, if you have an application pending under the amnesty program, you may also get a waiver. Help from a legal professional experienced in these matters may be necessary. If you have access to anonymous testing, yes, I would advise you take advantage of that opportunity.

Good luck!

Sex during PEP
OCD, Depression, Anxiety--OH MY!