Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I don't need to retest!
Jul 8, 2005

I want to thank you for the work you do! I had a risky sexual encounter while visiting South America and being only 22 I am of course invincible and never really though anything of it, until about a year later. For some unknown reason I started to look up information on the HIV virus. The more I looked, the more I freaked out. In retrospect, I had flu like symptoms around 5 weeks after the "incident". My girlfriend also had flu like symptoms a few weeks after the only time we've had "unprotected" sex. Once I started to think about these potential symptoms I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, and was having severe anxiety attacks. I finally got up the guts to go and get tested after about a month (anonomys testing through a local sexual health clinic) the test came back negative. I fealt great for a few days but then I started to worry again. Like most others I have read, I thought the test was wrong, or for some reason I didn't produce antibodies after a year. I want to thank you for your straight forward, no bull shit answers and the encouragement you give to everyone. By reading your responses I have realized that I can actually WooHoo. I have made the choice to stop worrying my self sick and be happy with my life. You have given me the strength to not go back and have myself tested another hundred times.

Thank you so very much,

PS, love your politacal commentery, bush is a douche.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

WOO-HOO! Congratulations!

"Straight forward, no bullshit answers" are us! (Well, perhaps "gaily onward, no bullshit," in any case.)

Stay well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
low risk or no risk? (uncut)
Next
Symptoms of lymph nodes in primary infection and seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.