Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried myself sick with symptons again ...
Jul 7, 2005

The nightmare never ends, I have been glued to the screen reading for the past few days making myself sick with symptons again, excellent site with great info by far one of the best on the web will dontate once my bank account moves into plus numbers. I had unprotected sex (vaginal only) on a few occasions with a girl of unknown status, went too planned parent hood and got tested at 16 weeks and the result was negative. Not sure which test it was but they drew blood for the test, WOOHOO or at least I thought. I ended up getting the flu at the very end of what would have been 6 months from the last sexual contact with this girl. Then about 3 1/2 months later too the current date I had a white coating on tounge followed by a sore throat and bad cough for going on a few weeks now along with a small blistering rash on the upper part of my leg near my rear and sinus drainage and stopped up ear like an ear infection without the pain or fever. Now I read through the archives and there seems to be little detail on "seroconverter" as far as precentage of cases that play out like this or just more detail on this in general, I have scheduled another test this upcoming wednesday then three weeks of hell waiting for the phone too ring with bad news, just kind of wanted to get your opinion on this, thanks.

-Scared Sh&tless in Missouri (I guess thats good though I don't have diarrhea, another sympton)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Scared Shitless in Missouri,

I really don't understand all this misery in Missouri (other than I kind of like the alliteration).

I also wonder a bit about your comment "I have been glued to the screen reading for the past few days making myself sick with symptoms again, excellent site with great info by far one of the best on the web." Missouri (or Misery) guy, "making people sick with symptoms" is really not our goal here . . . .

Now listen up Misery-Missouri-Guy, a negative HIV test at Planned Parenthood 16 weeks after unprotected vaginal sex is definitive and conclusive. You're HIV negative.

So you get "the flu" six months after nookie? So what? The very vast majority of flu symptoms are indeed related to the flu, not HIV. You don't have HIV (negative 16-week test) and so your flu is exactly that the flu!!!

Likewise, there are other likely causes other than HIV -- for your other symptoms as well. Certainly the very unlikely possibility of HIV has been definitively ruled out. So unglue yourself form the computer screen and go see your general medical doctor for an evaluation and treatment of your stuffy ears, sinus drip, small blistering rash, etc. Stop chasing a disease you couldn't possibly have!

If you want to get another HIV test, that's up to you. It's not necessary, and the results will be negative. But hey, Misery- Missouri, it's your blood and money, so if you want to give it away, that's your prerogative. But if you're waiting by the phone for bad news, you won't get it from these test results. I know Misery likes company, but, Missouri-Guy, the reason your "nightmare never ends," is because you refuse to let it. Nightmares are bad dreams. They aren't reality! Isn't it time for you to wake up and smell the Sanka?

Dr. Bob

Previous
tracas
Next
Guy Walks Into a Bar, Part II

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.