Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Link Between Syphilis & HIV?
Jul 6, 2005

Hey Doc,

I had a brief unprotected anal (insertive)sexual encounter (30 seconds tops) with another male of unknown status.

I started PEP (nelfinavir, 3TC and 4DT) within 12 hours and developed a bad rash all over my body by Day 10. I saw the doctor who was surprised by the skin reaction (red, hot, scaly, over neck, arms, chest, back, legs, light on palms and feet). I suggested syphilis and she agreed -- we're waiting on blood test confirmation of this. I stopped the PEP after 11 days (due to worry about rash being caused by allergic reaction to PEP).

Questions:

1) I did not have an open sore on my penis during this last unprotected encounter and I did not perform oral on him. Does this eliminate the elevated risk of contracting HIV if I do in fact have syphilis?

The increased risk comes from the cancres and not just simply having the syphilis virus in my blood stream correct? If I had no open sores or cancres on my penis there is no increased HIV risk from this most recent encounter? I did not perform oral on him ... only insertive anal.

2) 11 days of PEP -- enough or not? Hard to say I guess. I imagine the first 24-72 hours are the most critical. If the virus were to attach itself to my body, it would have done so by now (11 days later) ... right?

I hope others will find this informative and better understand the link between the 2 STD's and the importance of getting tested for Syphilis -- cause it's makin' a big comeback.

I'm hoping my syphilis result is neg (along with my HIV) -- so please keep me in your thoughts.

Signed, Kinda Scared

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Kinda Scared,

1. Syphilis has had more comebacks than Cher, Madonna and Streisand combined. And just like The Rolling Stones and King Tut, syphilis is back on tour and drawing impressive crowds. (Even Brian on Queer as Folk had a case of syphilis this season!!! That means nearly everyone in Babylon's backroom is now at risk as well.)

Syphilis is easily transmitted through contact with open sores (chancres) on the penis, anus or mouth. Syphilis can increase the chances of contracting HIV, because chancre sores provide easy access for HIV to enter the body. The white blood cells at the site of infection (chancres or even "mucous patches" in the mouth) can also increase the chances for HIV infection. In your case no oral, "30 seconds tops" topping a dude whose HIV status is unknown and not having open sores or chancres I would not anticipate an increased HIV risk. Of course at this point we still do not know if your rash is related to syphilis or not.

2. A full course of PEP is 28 days. Is 11 days of PEP enough? No one knows. I assume it's better than no PEP, but not as effective as a full 28-day course in preventing an HIV infection.

I'll not only "keep you in my thoughts," I'll also send my best good-luck karma!

Dr. Bob

Previous
New TheBody.com Format Sucks!!
Next
RE: Never Seen This Question Before...Please Help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.