Dr.Bob, Your the Only One Who can Help!! - ["beggin for an answer"]

Sorry to "bug you" again. I've tried going elsewhere for info so that I didn'thave to harrass you again, but it seems as though this is the only site where I am getting feedback from!! All of the STD hotlines just read information to me, that I have already read elsewhere. They can not seem to answer any specific questons. Unlike you, the std hotline workers, or GP's are not experts like yourself. I trust your opinion so much. You have 20+ years experience and are so VERY valuable to all the people out here struggling for hours each day looking for answers.

I've written to you before. We have WooHoo'd together, but now I really want your opinion on whether my woohoo was honerable considering my recent information...

- Tested Negitive at 90 days - Partner had tested negitive at 8.5 weeks after our one time together. - He refuses to test again.

My symtoms were: - herpes eye infection at 2 months - constant body twitching/vibrations that have lasted from 1.5 months prior until now - Facial Seborheic Dermatitis at 2.5 months prior - One purple spot near eye and nose that may be KS (doctor said it was something to do with blood vessels, but not a lesion; needed to be lazored off) - Dry eyes and mouth; tested today for yeast in mouth; results not back yet.

** Can I still WooHoo and Move On, or do I have to ReTest again???

How likely is it that given these symptoms I am a late seroconverter?

The twitching/vibrations in my feet, leg, and buttocks have never stopped; It is nerve racking; Depression/Anxiety pills don't stop it, and neither does the Negitive Results that I though positively would!

I can't funciton until I know how to proceed. Am I at risk?? I was so "normal" before this; never worried about heatlh. Now I'm scared all over again. It's the inconistancy of the window period that is doing it to me. You say 3 months is conclusive except for some cases. Is this one of those cases? I don't wnat to put anybody else at risk; yet my boyfriend is wondering why I refuse to engage in any sexual encounters with him!!

Your opinon matters. It matters most. More than you can ever know.. Please shine some light on this for me. Even if it is "bad" news, I would still rather know than try to figure it out myself. I am a computer geek; not a medical specialist!! Thank you so much AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN!

Hi Computer Geeks,

Did you know computer geeks are the hottest thing since "Tickle Me Elmo?" I'll help you with your virus questions if you help protect my P.C. from all the viruses, worms, spam and adds about penis enlargement. Deal?

OK, here's your response:

1. Yes, your WOO-HOO is definitive and conclusive. (Does that make it "honerable?") Your 90-day negative test coupled with your partner's negative 8.5-week test means HIV is not your problem.

2. Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV ARS or HIV disease.

3. Your spot is not Kaposi's sarcoma.

4. Are you a late seroconverter? No, absolutely not.

As for symptoms magically disappearing once someone gets a negative test and realizes that they are HIV negative, that is a very common occurrence. Please note this is a two-part process. First you get the negative HIV test and second, you realize (and believe) you are HIV negative. You have part one, but not part two. You report ongoing anxiety over the "inconistancy" (whatever the hell that is) of the window period, feeling "scared all over again," stating you "can't function until I know how to proceed," etc. At this point, my geeky buddy, I can assure you that HIV is not your problem; rather, ongoing irrational fears about HIV are.

I would suggest the following:

1. Get a referral for counseling, so that you can confront, and learn to cope with, your irrational HIV fears. This should also help you to accept the good news of your HIV-negative status as well as help you address your nerve-wracking depression/anxiety problem.

2. See your general medical doctor for your ongoing complaints. Seborrheic dermatitis is a very common condition. The vast majority of cases have nothing to do with HIV or immunodeficiency. See a dermatologist, if needed, for treatment. As for that "spot", get it lasered off. It's not KS. Your general medicine physician can evaluate your dry eyes, dry mouth and twitching complaints. If no physical cause can be diagnosed, the symptoms could indeed be psychologically induced. The herpes eye infection was merely bad luck. Follow up with your eye doctor as directed. It's not an HIV-related problem.

So, Geek-Guy, even though you were more than prepared for "bad" news, I don't have anything but good news to report. So get your butt to a therapist and get your mental health rebooted. You and your hard drive have been cleared of viruses!

Stay well.

percentage of gay men with HIV
New TheBody.com Format Sucks!!