Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I test? Cum in Mouth...
Jun 30, 2005

Last week, I was celebrating pride in Toronto, and visited 1 of the city's bathhouses. During the festivities, I gave oral to a guy(sans condom). He ejaculated on me, and some went ONTO my lips. I did taste some cum, but only a spurt. What are the probabilities that I could get HIV this way?

I don't know his HIV status. Is there any point in getting tested prior to the 3 month window period, or should I just wait it out and stress out until then?

Also- Should I tell my long-term partner about this incident, or just wait until I am sure whether I am positive or negative?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Toronto Pride must have been some party this year. I've received literally dozens of posts resulting from that weekend's festivities!

The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 in 10,000 exposures. Your risk would be less, as we do not know the status of your partner.

Should you get tested prior to three months? No. Tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive, so why bother?

Should you stress out until then? No, your risk is very low. Stressing will not help one way or the other, so why bother?

Should you tell your long-term partner? Well, many might also just say "why bother", but personally, I think the best relationships are built on truth and honesty.

Good luck, Toronto-Guy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR. BOB - 4TH ATTEMPT WILL DONATE $200
Next
Dr Bob.............are you here for a stupid scared Brit.......Fully paid up member to your fan club

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.