Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DR. BOB - 4TH ATTEMPT WILL DONATE $200
Jun 30, 2005

Dr Bob, I really admire all the work you do to help ease the fears of those of us who believe we may have contracted HIV. The thing is i had an enconuter that freaked me out. Earlier on in April I was engaging in protected insertive vaginal sex with a sex worker (we were doing it doggystyle if the position matters..). Anyway, as we were going to change position i pulled out and noticed the condom broke. It had rolled itself down to halfway down my penis. After that we removed the condom and she proceeded to finish me off by hand. When the condom broke she was scared and she told me she was afraid of getting infections (which I took as a good sign) - another detail, the brothel she works in has a policy that condoms must always be used. Anyway, a month after I started reading up on HIV and needless to say I began experiencing symptoms. The first symptom I experienced was a flu that lasted 3/4 days. Anyway, I had to wait a week before summoning up enough courage to get tested. I went to my college health services and the nurse performed all STD tests (including HIV). All were negative. After 2 weeks, I noticed the gum surrounding one tooth was bleeding and the gum was receeding - my nurse told me this wasn't a symptom and I have nothing to worry about. Earlier this month I noticed I lost 2kgs and this got me worried - but then I realized that it was probably because I was having diarrhea (my stomach is very sensitive to air conditioning and I experienced several bouts of diarrhea). Anyway I began researching and reading up on this website and I saw that the risk of contracting HIV from one episode of unprotected vaginal sex is less than 1%. I assume this is even less because her HIV status is not known and we did use a condom (even though it broke). Should be worrying? Thanks a lot Dr. Bob. and sorry for the lengthy email.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your stomach is very sensitive to air conditioning???!!!??? Have you been eating air conditioners again?? Oh well, no matter. It's probably just as tasty as the college food service "gourmet" meals.

The estimated per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from insertive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. You are correct your estimated risk would be even less, because your partner's HIV status is unknown.

So should you be worrying? No, it's really not warranted or helpful. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this condom-popping doggy-style dilemma.

Should you get HIV tested at the three-month mark? Yes. Testing is warranted do to the condom failure.

I'll send you my very best good-luck karma that your test will remain negative, OK?

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one compassionate gift will touch many lives in a very meaningful way.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Where do I make my donation? You answered my question I promised to donate but I dont know where to do it.
Next
Should I test? Cum in Mouth...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.