Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical Technologist w/Hangnails...
Jun 29, 2005

Hi Doc, I've got a question that I'm not sure has been asked/answered in the forum, so I watned to go straight to the source. I am a medical technologist in a large hospital. Two weeks ago, one of the units called to add a test to a patient's sample that had been stored in a fridge for approx. 4 hours (drawn in a "tiger" top/SST tube - serum separated from cells via gel barrier). I popped the top off the tube and set it on the counter and aliquoted the sample. When I went to put the cap back on, I accidentally touched the inside of the cap with my middle finger, which happened to have a couple of hangnails on it. I immediately ran the area in question under running water and then used an alcohol hand foam to cleanse the area. My question is, could HIV be spread in this manner? If so, what are the odds? Better or worse than a needlestick? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Med. Tech.,

No, the incident you describe would not pose a significant risk for HIV transmission. But if you are working with blood samples, you should be wearing gloves. And for future reference, if you ever do have an occupational exposure, you should report it immediately for documentation, evaluation, testing and treatment.

For now, I'd recommend two things:

1. Review the "universal precautions" guidelines and your hospital's policy for occupational exposures.

2. Get a manicure!

Stay well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
With age comes wisdom, maybe?
Next
Dr. Bob I want to live

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.