Worry very much

Hello from Europe. Dear Dr. Bob: you are very recognised and famous, here in Europe and I wish to ask you a short question (Sorry for my English, though.) Here is my story. I am a 35 years old straight heterosexual man who has never used IV drugs. On March 13, 2005 I stayed over night with a woman who is 10 years older than me. That night I did not have erection (sometime it happens to me). To achieve erection, she rubbed my penis over her vagina (no vaginal penetration, but no condom either) until I ejaculated outside. Although no penetration occured I still thought I was exposed to vaginal fluids so I got tested after 10,5 weeks (both Elisa and an antigen test "combo test"). Both came negative. However my EBV test came back positive with the comment "infection ancienne". 1) Should I wait the 3 month window mark to be sure about my HIV status? 2) Is it any danger to be positive with EBV? 3) After that night I developed sort of yeast infection in my mouth, though the oral swab test shows "Cult. champignons negatif" Does it mean that I do not have oral thrush? Thank you so much. I will be happy to donate 100 EURO to you foundation (please let me know how the donation can be made). Best regards René

Salut René,

Parles-tu français? Si oui, tu peux m'écrire en français. Si non, à ce moment je suis certain que tu te demandes pourquoi je suis en train de te répondre comme ça.

OK, I better continue in English, just in case. To answer your specific questions:

1. HIV tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive. Consequently, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk, you'll need to retest at three months or more for a conclusive result.

2. EBV and HIV are two very different viruses. Your "infection ancienne" means you had an Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) infection some time long ago. It's quite common and not at all worrisome. It is not related to HIV nor will it affect the accuracy of HIV test results.

3. Yes, "culture champignons négative" would indicate you do not have a fungal infection (i.e. it's not thrush).

René, your HIV risk rubbing without insertion is not considered a significant risk for HIV transmission. Your negative combo test at 10.5 weeks is extremely encouraging. Consequently, with minimal, if any, risk of exposure and preliminary antibody and antigen tests negative at 10.5 weeks, I believe your chances of being HIV negative are better than excellent!

Thank you for your willingness to make a donation to my foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives. Donation information can be found on The Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Stay well, René. À bientôt.

Very low risk of infection when not using condoms
Questions about Viral RNA tests