Worried and About to Lose It

Dr. Bob:

I have read these archives so much that my eyes have become strained. Even with all of this I have a question I would love to have you answer.

Four and a half months ago I had a very brief encounter with a sex worker. The exposure was from insertive oral for less than 1 minute, actually less than 30 seconds, before I came to my senses. I initially thought nothing of this (except the guilt) as I thought oral sex was not a risk for HIV. However, after thinking of it I read the web sites and began to panic a bit.

Following this I was tested for STD's at the 4 and 8 week period and waited until 12 weeks to take an HIV test (oraquick blood with lab follow up). The result was negative and I was elated. However, in stupidity I continued to read the internet and found that the vast majority of sites still say you need to wait until 6 months have passed to have a definitive result. Well, I went back and was tested at 20 weeks (oraquick oral test)and received a negative test. Overall, I am a very healthy male in early 40's who has had only this one encounter outside of my marriage. I am married and have avoided the issue for quite a while, but really would like to get back to my relationship. My questions are as follows: 1) can I consider the 20 week test conclusive? 2)If so, should I feel comfortable about relationships with my spouse without the risk of infection, or do I need to wait until the 6 months have passed?

Any guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated. I must inform you that I am a left wing republican (fiscal conservative and liberal socialist) who can at times also be a right wing democrat. I will send a donation if it will help the cause. Thanks

All this worry over 30 seconds of insertive oral sex? If you've been reading the archives to the point you need glasses, you should realize:

1. Oral sex carries a very low risk of HIV transmission.

2. HIV tests at three months or more are considered definitive and conclusive.

That you've had multiple negative tests out to 20 weeks means HIV is not your problem. I do not believe a six-month test is necessary or warranted.

Now about that leftwing Republican thing, I certainly understand the liberal socialist stuff, but could you explain how anything the Republicans are doing is fiscally conservative???

Stay well. Stay Democrat, even if right leaning. It's the "right" thing to do for all fiscal conservatives and liberal socialists.

Do we have any ETA on AIDS cure?
WHOOO HOOOO from las Vegas