Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Healthcare in the Bible Belt
Jun 27, 2005

Dr. Bob

To make a long story short, about two years ago I had a high-risk exposure. I used a condom, but it failed. Based on visible symptoms, I contracted Gonorrhea and Syphilis. After stumbling upon this website, I got tested for HIV through Home Access test kits at three and six months. Thankfully both test were negative. I was too embarrassed, however, to go to a doctor to get treated for Gonorrhea and Syphilis. I know there is HIPPA laws, but these laws are not always enforced in my part of the country. I can just imagine going to a doctor for treatment and later hearing people snicker when I walk by them in Wal-Mart. It would only take one healthcare worker to slip and say the wrong thing to a family member or friend for my "confidential" medical information to be all over town. It has actually happened to a few people where I live. It has been over two years now and I still have Gonorrhea and Syphilis. Do you have any suggestions in regards to anonymous or confidential treatment for those of us who live in the Bible Belt? I would just go elsewhere for treatment except there is no one day treatment for Syphilis and I could not get off work for three consecutive weeks of penicillin injections.

Anonymous

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anonymous,

Based on visible symptoms, you contracted gonorrhea and syphilis!?!?! Hmmm . . . that's amazing. I need laboratory studies to conclusively make these diagnoses. (And I spent all those years in medical school . . . .)

You're too embarrassed to go to a doctor to get treated for a possible STD??? Oh my . . . . That anyone would consider compromising their own health to avoid hearing people snicker while cruising the local Wal-Mart is indeed a sorry state of affairs. It's also not a wise decision. (To shop at Wal-Mart or worry about small minded gossipers.)

It's been over two years, and you still have gonorrhea and syphilis??? OUCHAMAGOUCHA! I tend to doubt that. Any possibility your initial self-diagnosis might be mistaken? Maybe you should ask yourself for a second opinion . . . .

Suggestions for anonymous or confidential treatment for those who live in the Bible Belt???

1. get the appropriate medical care you need and find some place other than Wal-Mart to shop, or

2. Move to San Francisco.

Listen, Anonymous, don't compromise your health due to judgmental Bible Bangers. If they are like the folks in most Bible Belt Wal-Marts, they are probably more interested in eating massive quantities of Snickers bars rather than snickering at your wiener.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOO-HOO!!!! But hard to move on
Next
Do we have any ETA on AIDS cure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.