Opened my eyes

Hello Dr.Bob,

Just wanted to say thank you for helping me open my eyes to something that I thought was a Homosexual disease only.I felt that the only people who could have caught this were people who made stupid sexual choices or shot drugs.I WAS WRONG.I'am a teacher in a suburb of Chicago and have really started to understand that this disease does not discriminate.This website certainly has given me an insight into the real causes of this epidemic.Your words and answers have helped me a great deal in the classroom.i have a question that keeps coming up and I'm not sure I know the right answer.The kids ask if hiv is spread by kissing? Also they ask about rubbing genital to genital.I believe it is called dry humping or as they call it bumping and grinding,without clothes I believe.If you could help me with these questions i hope to help do my part in stopping the spread of this disease and help fight for those living with it.Thanks Dr.Bob and coninue to do well with Steve

I'm delighted you are no longer wandering through life with your eyes wide shut!

Neither kissing nor dry humping (dry docking and frottage are other names) is considered a significant risk for HIV transmission without extenuating circumstances. So I would tell them "a kiss is just a kiss . . . (as times goes by)" and that rub-a-dub-dub even with three men in a tub is HIV safe so long as the submarine stays out of the love canal. Of course, the ol' bump and grind can sometimes lead to the ol' wham-bam-thank-you-Sam (or ma'am), so when in doubt, they should shroud their spout.

Stay well. Thanks for your kind comments and for helping kids learn the facts about HIV transmission.

HIV vaccine
She's + I'm - and we want kids