Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aussie surfer in need
Jun 22, 2005

G'day Dr Bob,

Again well done for all the advice on this forum, its fantastic.

Need a bit of advice. Had unprotected sex nearly 9 months ago.

Since then have had 2 negative ELISA tests (one at 3 months and the other 5 months).

However have had tight chest from about 1 month post exposure till now, together with lymph nodes in groin, neck and armpit. Have had tests for Hepatitis, Glandular fever ect which came up with nothing.

2 months ago started getting floating spots in my eyes (uncommon for my age i'm 28?).

Also have had white spots in my mouth for about 4 months.

My Doctor ruled out HIV because of the test timing.

I suppose my question is I'm experiencing all these symptoms (especially glands) for such a long duration that it suggests something must be wrong.

If I was a delayed seroconverter would i be showing all these symptoms???

Thanks for your help??

Worried Aussie surfer

Response from Dr. Frascino

G'day Mate,

To sum up: unprotected nookie nine months ago, followed by symptoms, followed by negative ELISA tests at three and five months. Your doctor ruled out HIV, but some symptoms persist, and so you are wondering if you might be a delayed seroconverter. Nope! I totally agree with your doc. HIV is not your problem.

So all tests have turned up nothing and your symptoms are still there, so you believe it "suggests something must be wrong." I agree. What is wrong is that you are a "worried Aussie Surfer." You need to get help for being a worrier (i.e. treatment for your anxiety) and stop perseverating on an illness you do not have (i.e. HIV). So, Aussie Surfer Dude, relax, crack a tinnie and don't let HIV fears let a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock. She'll be apples mate! Fair dinkum!

Stay well Down Under.

Dr. Bob

Previous
AIDS ignorance in USA
Next
Masturbating with panties a form of tranmission? PLEASE RESPOND

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.