Confidentiality for HIV testing through your general practitioner?

This may seem a really strange question. I remember reading somewhere that if you get tested for HIV through your general practitioner (or internal medicine doctor) then, regardless of the result, you may be refused mortgages, loans etc in the future, essentially because the test goes on your medical record, and can be viewed by parties providing such services. Is this correct, or have I been completely misinformed? If this proves to be the case, how do you get tested without the test going on your medical record? Thanks for your time...

The best way to get tested without it going on your medical record is by using an anonymous testing site; however, not all states have these sites, and even those that exist are reeling from ongoing budget cuts.

Testing through your private physician's office should be confidential, although not anonymous. If you are HIV positive, but do not have full-blown AIDS, the laws regarding wither this information is reported to local and state health departments vary from state to state.

HIV/AIDS discrimination has been an ongoing problem since the disease was first described over two decades ago. However being refused mortgages and loans simply for having the test? No, that should not happen, unless perhaps there is a new amendment to the Patriot Act that none of us is aware of yet.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Help me Rhonda Help Help..
Sad Story (Comment)