Major Bob:Oraquick Tests vs. Normal Blood Elisas

Hey Doc, Ground Control again..I had a question about Oraquick Test vs. Elisas. The Oraquick which is the 20 min. fingerstick test, is it as accurate/sensitive as an Elisa? I'm trying to convince myself that I am HIV neg..I've had multiple Elisas and had an Oraquick done at 50 weeks and it was neg...still battling Oral thrush which I got (I think through stress and using a steroid inhaler as the stress exacerbated the problem), but I'm confused when you said stress doesn't cause thrush. I have read and my PCP told me that stress can lower your immune system perhaps causing me to get thrush..it is a very mild case my PCP said..there's not a chance it could be HIV-2 or anything is there?? Thanks for your time, will be awaiting orders Major Bob!

Hello Ground Control,

Yes, OraQuick 20-minute rapid tests are very sensitive and accurate. A negative test is considered as conclusive as a negative ELISA. However, a positive rapid test needs to be confirmed by the standard serologic tests before being considered a true positive. In your case multiple negative ELISAs plus a negative OraQuick at 50 weeks is definitive and conclusive. You're HIV negative.

Stress can do several things to the immune system. As it turns out, mild stress may well be beneficial. More severe stress can be detrimental. However, stress, mild or severe, does not cause or significantly exacerbate oral thrush. Oral thrush is a fungal infection that is frequently linked to steroid inhalers. Proper inhaler technique (have your doctor demonstrate this for you) and rinsing your mouth with water after using the inhaler can mitigate or eliminate this problem.

Do I think anything else, like HIV-2, etc., is going on here? Nope!

Your orders are to stop worrying and stop testing.

Over and out!

You gave me the strength to NOT test!
Another crazy toilet question