Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Major Bob:Oraquick Tests vs. Normal Blood Elisas
Jun 16, 2005

Hey Doc, Ground Control again..I had a question about Oraquick Test vs. Elisas. The Oraquick which is the 20 min. fingerstick test, is it as accurate/sensitive as an Elisa? I'm trying to convince myself that I am HIV neg..I've had multiple Elisas and had an Oraquick done at 50 weeks and it was neg...still battling Oral thrush which I got (I think through stress and using a steroid inhaler as the stress exacerbated the problem), but I'm confused when you said stress doesn't cause thrush. I have read and my PCP told me that stress can lower your immune system perhaps causing me to get thrush..it is a very mild case my PCP said..there's not a chance it could be HIV-2 or anything is there?? Thanks for your time, will be awaiting orders Major Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ground Control,

Yes, OraQuick 20-minute rapid tests are very sensitive and accurate. A negative test is considered as conclusive as a negative ELISA. However, a positive rapid test needs to be confirmed by the standard serologic tests before being considered a true positive. In your case multiple negative ELISAs plus a negative OraQuick at 50 weeks is definitive and conclusive. You're HIV negative.

Stress can do several things to the immune system. As it turns out, mild stress may well be beneficial. More severe stress can be detrimental. However, stress, mild or severe, does not cause or significantly exacerbate oral thrush. Oral thrush is a fungal infection that is frequently linked to steroid inhalers. Proper inhaler technique (have your doctor demonstrate this for you) and rinsing your mouth with water after using the inhaler can mitigate or eliminate this problem.

Do I think anything else, like HIV-2, etc., is going on here? Nope!

Your orders are to stop worrying and stop testing.

Over and out!

Dr. Bob

Previous
You gave me the strength to NOT test!
Next
Another crazy toilet question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.