Home Access Testing under 18

Dear Dr. Bob, I have noticed that the Home Access test system states that use in those under 18 has not been evaluated. Does that mean that the test is not accurate if it is used by someone under 18? My younger sister used this test because our family doctor would not test her without our parents' permission. I have searched the net and your archives and have not been able to find an answer to this question. Are antibodies produced differently in children and youths than in adults, or would the test result be accurate? Thanks. Worried Older Sister

Hi Worried Older Sister,

Your family doctor would not test your sister without your parents' permission??? Gosh, what a nice guy!

The Home Access test, even though not evaluated in those under 18, would still be considered accurate. HIV antibody testing can be a bit tricky in newborn infants, but once the kids get beyond that stage, antibody tests are as accurate in kids as they are in adults.

I'm delighted you are looking after your little sister. Obviously your family doctor is not. If your younger sister is sexually active, as I assume she is, she may have other issues birth control, STD screening, etc. that the family doctor might not be addressing as well. If this situation cannot be openly dealt with in the context of your family for whatever reason, you may need to help her find appropriate healthcare from a more understanding physician.

gonorrhea of the throat
Thanks Dr Rob, but