The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

gonorrhea of the throat

Jun 8, 2005

I recently did some crystal meth by snorting and a few days later I ended up with a severe sore throat. I do know from some people that that a sore throat can happen depending on what it is cut with. I went to the doctor and he is suspecting that I have gonorrhea of the throat due to the fact that my strip throat test came back negative. I haven't had oral sex in about a month that I know of. How long does it take for gonorrhea of the throat to show? The had prescibed me Penicillin VK 500 mg. Would this cure the disease if in fact I do have gonorrhea of the throat? Thanks so much. James

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello James,

You haven't had oral sex in about a month that you know of!?!?! Jim buddy, aren't penis popsicles something you would at least remember?

Now about this doctor you're seeing, if he suspects you have gonorrhea, he should test you for it. Also, if he thinks you have gonorrhea and wants to treat you for it, penicillin VK 500 mg is not the correct or recommended therapy! The correct treatment would be a shot of ceftriaxone (125 mg) or cefpodoxime orally.

I would make three suggestions:

1. Find a more competent physician.

2. Stop using crystal.

3. Don't bother having sex unless it's going to be at least good enough to remember.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

HIV negative with somewhat low CD4 count. Concern?
Home Access Testing under 18

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint