Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

im leaving on a jet plane..

Dr. Bob No really, I am leaving. Im going on a business trip to FL and will not have access to the Internet for 5 days. Definitely the longest I have gone without your site in 4 months. I had a negative OraSure at 90 says following insertive oral sex with a person of an unknown status.

I am still plagued by fear and symptoms. My tongue is still white sometimes, I still have a headache (that is remedied with Tylenol), small brown spots on my body, and small canker sores that go away with some salt on them.

I don't understand this. I thought that all my symptoms would magically disappear with my negative status. I am very upset and confused. An answer to my question would be a lovely thing to come home to. So tell me doc, should I retest at 6 months because I maybe one of those "unusual circumstances" you speak of? Please give me some of your expert advice.

Welcome home! How was your trip to the land of Mickey and Minnie . . . not to mention Goofy (Jeb Bush)?

Symptoms often "magically" disappear when someone gets their negative HIV test and fully realizes and accepts they are indeed HIV negative. You, on the other hand, got your negative 90-day test, but remained "plagued by fear!"

The bottom line is that you had a very low risk exposure and a test at 90 days that was negative. This is conclusive and definitive. You are HIV negative. Whatever is causing your "sometimes" white tongue, headaches and small brown spots, it's not HIV!

Do you need repeat testing? No.

Are your circumstances "unusual?" No.

Do you need counseling to help you accept the great news that you are HIV negative and put your irrational fears to rest once and for all? Yes.

Good luck!

Be still my heart!
The miracle of the OraSure rapid test