{{Dr Bob}} Blood Donor THANKS YOU for holding her hand

Dear Dr. Bob,

I "expect" your "expecting" my DNA PCR would be undetectable was absolutely correct! Just got a call from the nurse and it was negative! The nurse who called to tell me it was negative was the same nurse who told me my HIV test was Positive and I had definately been exposed because the EIA O.D. Ratio was so high.

I just could not understand why my blood kept testing positive on the Elisa Test and thank goodness the Western Blot is specific and indeterminate both times.

Everything I read was giving me some hope but my mind was doing a number on me - bringing up ghosts from the past. I wasn't at all worried about recent exposure it was potential exposures from the past that had me nuts. I feared my test last year was a false negative 15 years after unsafe exposure to a person of unknown status & I would have to have all four of my kids (14, 13, 11 & 8) tested. I went through every childhood illness they ever had and convinced myself I had infected us all.

My husband was a rock through the whole ordeal and kept telling me I was making myself sick with worry - I lost 26 pounds in 6 wks because I just couldn't eat. He said not to worry until I had something to worry about. He's always rational and calm and I'm a worry wort so what he was telling me was easier said than done.

I was very nervous about the DNA PCR because I couldn't test negative on the Elisa or Western Blot, at the time it made sense to me that I'd test detected on the PCR. I was afraid to be hopeful after thinking I'd have no problem donating blood and then had a problem.

Your posts to me helped keep me from going off the deep end. I had to read it over and over again when I'd start to panic. My Dr. said the PCR would be negative but he said that about the Elisa & had never encountered a situation like this before. So I was more inclined to trust your words because of all I had read here & that's why I turned to you.

As I read through the site I found myself getting really depressed reading about people testing seven ways to Sunday and then getting frustrated because they expected to test positive instead of negative. I was thinking "Why couldn't I test negative too? I apparently did it once what changed in a year?"

Then I would think, man if I'm this frightened knowing I had no real recent exposure what must someone who had a definate known exposure be going through? So then I felt dumb for being so worried.

Dr. Bob this experience has really opened my eyes and I hope that in some way some how I can pay it forward and help someone else the way you've helped me.

Going to have the Dr. check to see if I've got something else wrong with me that makes me not able to test negative on the Elisa Test but from what I've read sometimes it's unclear why this happens.

I'm not feeling sick and don't have any symptoms of an autoimmune disease or anything else I've read might cause this, well except for multiparity - been pregnant 5 times miscarried my first - but if it was that I should have had trouble last year shouldn't I?

I don't know exactly what to have them look for but will start with the plugged Left ear I have to pop and puffy Left eye I've been dealing with for awhile. Been on antibotics for it twice since March but wouldn't have even gone to the Dr for it if I hadn't got the letter from the Red Cross. Those symptoms would probably be gone if I didn't smoke. I've been smoking worse going through this so now I'm definately gonna have to stop smoking! Dr. told me when I test negative to quit so I'll have to. Maybe that's the reason this happened I don't know.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here. You are a bright shinning light and a most beautiful caring person. When I get all these lab tests paid for I want to make a donation. I'm a quilter, if ya ever need items to auction to raise funds maybe I could make one for you?

Much love & thanks!

No longer Terrified

Hi No Longer Terrified,

1. WOO-HOO! Congratulations!

2. 26 pounds in six weeks! WOW, that's better than the South Beach Diet. Maybe you should write a book and become a gazillionaire.

3. Yes, paying it forward is an excellent idea and I'm sure you'll find many opportunities to do just that!

4. Yes, it's true some HIV-negative folks can have repeatedly indeterminate serological tests, i.e. positive ELISA and indeterminate Western Blot.

5. Yes, multiple pregnancies can produce cross-reacting antibodies that can cause indeterminate HIV antibody test results. This is the most likely case in your particular situation.

6. Yes, quit smoking immediately! Do it for me, OK?

7. A handmade quilt would make a wonderful auction item for our next benefit. Auction donations can be sent to the Foundation office at:

779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Stay well,

A mad student
Dr. Frascino urgently needed in Austria.