I got it through oral sex

or at least I think I did (99 percent sure)

Dear doc I'm a 21 year old gay male. I love the way you answer your questions and I hope you do the same with mine.

I have given and received oral sex a few times without ejaculation, but I'm worried only about one. I deep throated someone for about 10 seconds, no ejaculate, I don't remember tasting pre-cum, but it's possible. The only problem is that I learned he was HIV+.

2 weeks later I came down with a very very severe sore throat with drooling. Tested negative for gonoreah and strep.

A year and half later (today) I have a slight cough that has persisted for a month and my tonsils are red.

Questions:

1. Is my exposure(s) significant enough for HIV transmission? I know you've answered this type of question before and I know the answer, but couldn't I be one of the few that get it? It' not impossible right?

2. Does my sore throat have anthing to do with acute HIV or it would usually involve other symptoms too. my doc said he has never heard of a sore throat alone unless it was strep. He said most sore throats are a "symptom" of a cold or flu, but not "alone". Is that true?

3. I know PGL can happen to people with HIV, and tonsils are lymph glands, but does them being red and painless have anything to do with PGL and HIV.

4. What about my cough. it's only been a year and a half, isn't it too early for dry cough to occur. When they say dry cough is a symptom of HIV, do they mean it is brought on by HIV itself or by an HIV related condition such as pnemonia, therefore making mine unlikely to be HIV related?

Doc I will not get tested for HIV, this is psychological problem and I will seek help for it, but I refuse to get tested, unless you come with me that is, then I'll go in strong and prepared for a test.

Therefore, Please tell me like you tell others in my situation that the odds are in my favor, if you don't, I'll assume they are not (lol)

Thank you doc, I wish you the best of health and a very very very long life and dying in a bed at a very very old age (110) at a retiremnet home just like you wished. I know God is with you, I just hope he's with me too.

Thanks Another worried well, I hope

Hi "Another Worried Well, I hope",

You are 99% sure you got HIV from 10 seconds of deep-throating an HIV-positive guy. Really? Wanna place a bet on that? Statistics would predict that your odds are 10,000 to 1 for losing that bet!!!

Let me briefly respond to your specific questions:

1. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. Regarding possible vs. impossible, look, Dubya actually got elected in 2004, so I suppose almost anything is possible. Do I think you contracted HIV? No.

2. A sore throat is one of the most common ailments humans get. HIV is very rarely the cause. I very strongly doubt HIV has anything to do with your sore throat.

3. Nope.

4. "Dry cough" is not caused by HIV itself. It can be a sign of certain opportunistic infections, such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.

Now I have a question for you. Why will you not get tested? Don't you think 1.5 years of needless worry and anxiety is sufficient? Sure, I'll come with you if you need the support, but can we stop for a frappuccino on the way? What time will you be stopping by to pick me up?

See you soon,

WOOHOO WOOHOO
Tested -ve 3yrs PE and still scared