Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still waiting for a responsei pleeeeeeease answer this time
May 25, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob,

Several attempts, but no reply from your side yet. I also donated $100 as promised and the ref of the donation is XXXXXXXXXXXX(if you don't believe me :)). I appreciate your efforts here and would also like to continue my support because I strongly believe that it is the fundemental right of all the human beings on earth to receive proper education and medical care. If our stupid governments can't find money to afford these programs, we can't sit back and relax. There is always something we can do. I think the people asking questions here should also think of the others, who are suffering from HIV. But, it appears that you are ignoring me Dr. Bob. I have a simple question & you can't even imagine how stressed I am. I had protected sex with a sex worker but five minutes after the sex, when I took the condom with me to make sure that it did not break, it stuck onto my finger, where there was a little cut on it(not a bleeding one actually). I washed my hand thereafter(about 5 minutes later). The contaminated condom stuck on the cut for about three seconds. Is it an enough period for the transmission of HIV. I am so scared and will go for a test, but too early for the time being. It hasn't been more than 2 weeks. Shall I take p24 ag+ anti hiv 1 + 2. Would its result be reliable at 14 days. Some say yes some say no. But i will follow your advice. Please help, I am in need of your urgent assistance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thank you for your donation. Hopefully you have received my personalized letter of acknowledgement by now. If not, it will arrive very soon. I've been in NYC for the past week, lecturing and catching up on Broadway shows before next week's Tony Awards, so I'm a bit behind in my paperwork. At any rate, I don't intentionally ignore anyone OK, maybe Tom DeLay but other than him, I don't ignore folks. It's just that I receive thousands of e-mails and it's impossible to respond to each and every one. I hope all the readers of the forum will understand that even though I would very much like to respond to every question, it's just not feasible!

OK, on to your problem. Relax, Guy! I do not believe there was a significant risk that would require testing. If you want to get tested, an HIV antibody test (ELISA) at three months is all that would be needed. Taking the test would primarily be to calm your fears, rather than to assess any real chance of transmission. OK? I see absolutely no cause for concern.

Thanks again for your generous donation!

Continue to stay safe!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dating Tips Guy: Navigating the Minefield Called Life, or I Swallowed - Should I Worry?
Next
THATS FINAL !! NO MORE WORRIES FOR THEORITICAL RISK

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.