Dating Tips Guy: Navigating the Minefield Called Life, or I Swallowed - Should I Worry?

Hi Dr. Bob, it's Dating Tips Guy. I caught a looksie at some of those bare-chested Dr. Bob pics, and what I said before holds true: You really are a hottie!

When last we wrote, I was telling you of my recent decision to embrace life more fully and squeeze the joy from each new day. In fact, I've done quite a lot of "joy-squeezing" lately! And while my old paranoias are trying desperately to reassert themselves, I remain determined to proceed without fear, armed with facts and preparation. And, like it or not, Dr. Bob, you and your terrific forum have become the compass by which I am navigating the Minefield Called Life. Thank you for that.

So: I gave the newish boyfriend a blow-job. Unprotected. I swallowed.

OK, I know oral is presumed extremely low risk, but. But, if (to use your analogy) gauging the risk of hiv from giving oral is like gauging the risk of being struck by lightening on a rainy day, does swallowing make it more like standing in a tub of water while holding a lightening rod in an electrical storm? Or is swallowing also considered "extremely low risk" for HIV...?

Thanx Dr. Bob. You don't know how much you and this forum mean to "joy-squeezing life-navigators!"

- Dating Tips Guy

Hi Tips-Guy,

OK, so you were squeezing (or sucking) joy from your newish boyfriend's lightening rod and wound up having a high-protein nosh. Certainly Dr. Atkins espouses high-protein diets. Now what about Dr. Bob?!?

Actually, there is still a bit of controversy about spit versus swallow. Oral sex in general (including no cum, pre-cum, spit and/or swallow) carries a low risk for HIV transmission. Not getting spunked (no ejaculation) is, in general, considered less risky. However, once you've got a mouthful of "baby batter," perhaps the best advice is to get rid of it quickly, either by spitting it out or by swallowing it. Is one method safer than the other? Most guidelines recommend spitting over swallowing, but we really don't know for sure. Certainly stomach acids would kill the virus very quickly. Theoretically, what you want to avoid is having infected spunk in contact with mucous membranes (like the inside of your mouth and throat) for long periods of time. Minimizing this contact decreases the risk that HIV will be transmitted. So spit when you can, swallow quickly when you must and do not use someone's jiz as a trendy new mouthwash to swish and gargle with, even if you do like the flavor better than Listerine!

Stay well.

Dr. Pls Help !! .. I desperately need your advice !
Still waiting for a responsei pleeeeeeease answer this time