Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE HELP ! MENTRAL STRESS, AGONY, PAIN.....AM I AT RISK
May 24, 2005

Dear Doctor.

I am writing to you for the second time in the hope that you would consider me and my plight.

Let me first start by Thanking you for all the wonderful work you and your foundation is doin' for the people around the globe.

I am 26 Asian Male living in New Jersey. About 6 months back, I had my first sexual encounter with a massage parlour girl. Yes, the whole course of the intercourse was protected with a condom. But I am absolutely not sure what type of condom was used since the condom was provided by the massage parlour girl. Once I was done when I pulled my member out, I noticed that the condom was stuck 2/3 to my member and the mucous membrane was not exposed. I believe I can term this as safe but I am not able to get convinced with that. From that day onwards, i have been into severe mental stress. I am not sure what exactly has gone into me but I have started believing that I might have contracted HIV . This thought of mine has taken my personal and professional life for a ride. Even a minor cold and body pain alerts me a lot and I get really tensed. I keep looking out for HIV symptoms on the internet.I also go thru' various articles on the internet about HIV....I guess I am stupid to do all these things but I am unable to avoid/control.

I have been experiencing SINUS Infection for quite sometime which in turn leads to headache, sore throat.I feel tired always and not in best of my mood. I have no cold, cough nor any other condition. I have not been losing weight but infact I have gained 10 Lbs in the last 6 months.

Yesterday, I visited my doctor and was inquiring about HIV test. He said I might not need that since the symptoms were not consistent with HIV. But he asked me to get tested if needed. Now that my physician has asked me to get tested, I am severly worried whether to get tested or not. I am just putting my test on hold until i gain enough courage to do that. I am infact really worried about the outcome of the results... I don;t know what to do doctor....Please help me out. I need u'r advise in this regard. I wanna feel betteer and get back to my life.

1. Is my symptoms and conditions related to HIV ?

2. Should I get tested ?

3. Can I be positive ?

I will be more than happy to help you and your foundation's cause in the form of donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

From what you've told me, I do not see a significant HIV risk, so I'll be brief and quickly answer your three specific questions:

1. Are my symptoms and conditions related to HIV? No.

2. Should I get tested? No. The choice is always up to you. However, I just don't believe it's absolutely necessary based on what you've told me.

3. Can I be positive? No. In fact, you are one of the more "negative" folks I have encountered in quite some time.

HIV is not your problem. If you get tested, it will only be to calm your irrational fears. Have you ever considered getting some counseling for your anxiety? If not, you definitely should!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Transmission risk?
Next
Dr. Pls Help !! .. I desperately need your advice !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.