Concerned blood donor is now terrified

Dear Dr Bob,

I'm the recent blood donor who "thought" she had a negative test in 2004 (Now I don't think the life insurance company really did the HIV test because I should have had this trouble then) & had a pos HIV-1/2 elisa, Neg HIV-2 EIA, Indterminate wb and Neg NAT. I went back to another GP last week and he did another antibody test. He was sure it would be negative. Well it wasn't. I got my results today and they were inconclusive again.

This time the results were HIV-1 Abs-O.D. Ratio 2.21 H <1.00 Repeatedly reactive

Western Blot A non-specific Band is Present between p65 and pg120 all other bands absent

Last time I wrote my WB band pattern was p51 = 1+ p55 =1+

GP did a PCR today and I'm scared beyond belief although he says he thinks it's just a cross reaction but I'm don't.

I'm worried now I may have been infected between 1987-1989 when I wasn't to safe and it's just starting to catch up to me.

I don't know what to expect with this PCR Test and I'm terrified and expecting the worst. What is your opinion please? Thank you for your time Dr Bob I appreciate it,

Terrified

Hello Terrified,

You "don't know what to expect" . . . but you're "expecting the worst????" Hmmm . . . no wonder you're terrified.

I think your G.P. is right on target with his "expectation!" The fact is you're HIV test results remain "indeterminate." There are a variety of reasons for an indeterminate result. You can read about these in the archives. The most important factor in evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks in low-risk categories with indeterminate tests are almost never infected with either HIV-1 or HIV-2. Repeat testing in cases of indeterminate results can continue to show indeterminate results for reasons that we still do not completely understand. I agree a DNA PCR, which is a qualitative test used to detect cell-associated proviral DNA, is warranted and can be very helpful in sorting out indeterminate serological results. I should also point out your Western Blot band pattern is not consistent with HIV ARS or established HIV disease.

Despite your "expecting the worst," I "expect" your DNA PCR will be undetectable.

Good luck!

10th time asking!
HIV Transmission risk?