Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned blood donor is now terrified
May 24, 2005

Dear Dr Bob,

I'm the recent blood donor who "thought" she had a negative test in 2004 (Now I don't think the life insurance company really did the HIV test because I should have had this trouble then) & had a pos HIV-1/2 elisa, Neg HIV-2 EIA, Indterminate wb and Neg NAT. I went back to another GP last week and he did another antibody test. He was sure it would be negative. Well it wasn't. I got my results today and they were inconclusive again.

This time the results were HIV-1 Abs-O.D. Ratio 2.21 H <1.00 Repeatedly reactive

Western Blot A non-specific Band is Present between p65 and pg120 all other bands absent

Last time I wrote my WB band pattern was p51 = 1+ p55 =1+

GP did a PCR today and I'm scared beyond belief although he says he thinks it's just a cross reaction but I'm don't.

I'm worried now I may have been infected between 1987-1989 when I wasn't to safe and it's just starting to catch up to me.

I don't know what to expect with this PCR Test and I'm terrified and expecting the worst. What is your opinion please? Thank you for your time Dr Bob I appreciate it,

Terrified

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Terrified,

You "don't know what to expect" . . . but you're "expecting the worst????" Hmmm . . . no wonder you're terrified.

I think your G.P. is right on target with his "expectation!" The fact is you're HIV test results remain "indeterminate." There are a variety of reasons for an indeterminate result. You can read about these in the archives. The most important factor in evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks in low-risk categories with indeterminate tests are almost never infected with either HIV-1 or HIV-2. Repeat testing in cases of indeterminate results can continue to show indeterminate results for reasons that we still do not completely understand. I agree a DNA PCR, which is a qualitative test used to detect cell-associated proviral DNA, is warranted and can be very helpful in sorting out indeterminate serological results. I should also point out your Western Blot band pattern is not consistent with HIV ARS or established HIV disease.

Despite your "expecting the worst," I "expect" your DNA PCR will be undetectable.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
10th time asking!
Next
HIV Transmission risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.