GP Says 4 Month Neg ELISA is unconclusive !

Hi Dr Bob

I recieved the fantastic news that I am HIV negative last week, I have never been so happy in my life. This feeling of happiness was shattered though by my idiotic GP. She says that my negative 4 month ELISA means nothing as it's not considered conclusive until at least six months. Also she claims that the latest UK ELISA's do not test for sub types 'O' and 'N' which are becomming more and more comman.

I can't believe she said this, it contradicts everything you have been saying in this fantastic website of yours. It also contradicts what the health advisors at the testing centre told me.I had never heard of subtypes 'O' or 'N' until she mentioned them.

I want to move on with my life and start having unprotected sex with my wife again. But I am going to find it very hard now after that 'shit head' that likes to call her self a general practitioner dropped this bombshell on me.

In your opinion Dr Bob am I safe to start sleeping with my wife again, my exposure was unprotected vaginal sex with a female who's status was unknown, I tested negative at the 4 month mark in a UK GUM clinic. Do I need to worry about subtypes 'o' and 'n' or a 6 month window period ?

By the way your forum has been the single biggest help to me over the last 4 months. I don't know what I would have done with out you! Thank you.

A very Angry Englishman

Hello Angry Englishman,

Only you can decide whether to believe the information that you've read here from HIV physician specialists that was corroborated by the HIV health advisors at the testing center or the opinions of your "idiotic GP."

You can read about "O" and "N" subtypes in the archives. Routine screening is not warranted, in my opinion. Finding a new GP may well be.

doggy style risky encounter + how long do I have to live
why sooo many pills