Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sick & Republican, but I love you!
May 13, 2005

Doctor,

I had a PCR and ELISA done on day 20. My symptoms were fatigue and rash. Now it's 50 days post exposure. I'm trying to get through to the 13th week (as per your archives). However, I'm starting to have muscle aches all over my body plus a sore throat. My stomach spasms all of the time. The rash seems to be controlled. Are my newest symptoms a bad sign such as ARS suddenly becoming active? I know that my 20 day PCR was <50, but I'm not doing to well at day 50.

I don't have the money to run to the doctor after every symptom, even though I'm a Republican. What advise can you give?

Should I take another ELISA sooner? Your REpublican friend!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You're a Republican and you are wondering what advice I can give you???? Oh, that one is just too, too easy.

OK, never mind about that. Let's discuss your symptoms and HIV tests to date. First off, your symptoms muscle aches, stomach spasms, etc. are not consistent with HIV ARS. Your negative PCR and ELISA at day 20 are extremely encouraging. I don't know what your potential risk exposure was, but from everything you've told me so far, I strongly doubt HIV is your problem. Running to the doctor after every symptom is neither warranted nor necessary. Anxiety certainly could be at the root of many, if not all of, your symptoms. I would not suggest additional ELISA tests prior to the three-month mark, as they will not be definitive. Rather, I suggest you spend some more time with the archives where you will find gazillions of testimonials from folks with an amazing variety of symptoms who were convinced (or at least very fearful of the possibility) they had contracted the virus, only to find out they were in fact HIV negative. As you will notice, the symptoms often magically disappear once the person realized that he or she is not HIV positive. I'd say the chances are excellent that you'll be writing to me in a few weeks with a very similar story and, hopefully, a realization that Republican policies have most likely contributed to your lack of financial resources and lack of a health insurance plan that would allow you to see your doctor when you are ill.

Good luck, Republican Friend. I'm here if you need me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Definition of protected oral sex
Next
Put me in the x files

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.