Question about pneumonia

Dr. Bob, I am a pretty healthy former Republican male who loves your enthusiasm and zest for life! About 4 months ago, I came up with pneumonia after ignoring my flu symptoms and not seeing my doctor sooner. I got over the pneumonia after taking "Z-Pac" but for the last few months I have had on and off nausea, and just recently I came up with another respiratory infection and the nausea continues. My only potential risk is a long term relationship with a girl of unknown status about 7 years ago, where we didn't use condoms. So between the nausea and getting sick 3 times in 4 months, I'm wondering (and scared) if I need to get tested for HIV? Is the nausea, pneumonia, and getting sick 3 times in 4 months all of a sudden something that should make me be concerned about a relationship 7 years ago? I've been very healthy for 7 years...Are those conditions/symptoms consistent with HIV? Also, I have made a committment to make regular donations to your foundation, and I look forward to your letters/correspondence, but I haven't gotten that letter that makes me smile in awhile...are you ok? you are great!

Hi Former Republican,

The only reason to consider HIV testing is risk. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you should be tested, whether or not you have symptoms.

Your particular symptoms seven years after a potential exposure are not worrisome to me from an HIV perspective. However, the take-home message remains that symptoms or no symptoms should not be the primary reason for HIV screening. OK?

Your general medical doctor should be able to sort out your nausea and respiratory problems.

Thank you for your donations and desire to help those struggling with HIV/AIDS. Also, congratulations on your ex-Republican status!!!

Going to get tested, and thanks!
Anal Warts