Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Effective time for HIV testing
May 7, 2005

Hi Doc!

Great site; thanks so much for what you do.

I had a "whoopsie" at a club. I was drunk and kind of went along with a guy who wanted me to be the receptive anal partner in the men's room. The epitome of class, I know.

After he inserted (I never had anal before -- OW!!), I pulled back, and then he re-inserted (not to the point of pain) for another 10 seconds or so, and we stopped and I left.

Next day -- freakout begain.

Four days after the incident -- went to the ER. The doc did a digital rectal exam and said there were no cuts/lacerations and that I didn't have any symptoms that would indicate a STD.

One week after the incident -- went to my GP; got the same result back.

Three weeks after the incident -- went to a urologist -- no bacterial ookiness.

Six weeks after the incident -- got a RapidTest.. Tested negative.

Several sources state that the probability for HIV antibodies showing up after 4 weeks is almost certain (98%) and after 6 weeks is nearly as accurate as the reccomended 3 month period (>99%).

Soo.. the big question is -- would you reccomend additional testing and was my overall exposure exceptionally risky?

Kinda scared to get the "official" results now that I'm at the 10 week mark; and I'd rather just live life happily with my other neg result.

Thoughts? Ideas? Any large sums of money you want to send?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Whoopsie????" Hmmm, even I've never heard it called that before. And bacterial "ookiness" is new to me as well. Nonetheless, let's proceed to your concerns. You had unprotected receptive anal whoopsie with a dude of unknown status in the men's room. Despite the absence of any "ookiness," this activity places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. And while I think it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious that your evaluations to date have all been negative, you still need a three-month HIV test.

If you were indeed "living happily" with your unofficial, not definitive, negative-so-far, test results, you really wouldn't be writing to me, right?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
daughter raped at college concert
Next
Help! Dr Bob. I am dying!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.