Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can surgery affect seroconversion REVISITED (Last Time!)
May 5, 2005

Hi Dr. Bob,

I don't know if you remember me, I told you I had an internal hernia about 8 weeks into my "window period", and was afraid my negative HIV tests at 12 and 22 weeks might be invalid because of possible delayed seroconversion. It's now been over 7 months since my "exposure", which amounted to nothing more than kissing and receiving oral sex. I even had one more home access test at 24 weeks, and, like you predicted, it was negative also.

OK, so here's the only problem. Since a couple of weeks before that surgery (it's been 5 months now), I've been dealing with tingling sensations in my legs, from my thighs to my calves. I finally went to my doctor, and they did an MRI, which revealed what he called "disc disease", or a disc bulge between L1-L2.

Since I had been tested negative all during the time I've been feeling this tingling in my legs, does that mean it is definitely not HIV related? I've read that disc disease can cause this type of tingling in the legs, but I guess I just have not quite got my irrational fear of HIV under control.

Is there any reason to have any more HIV testing?

I'm so grateful for your counseling, would love to make an anonymous donation.

Thanks again, and God bless you.

Mr. Former Doomsday Guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mr. Former Doomsday Guy,

OK, one last time, you are HIV negative. You do not need any additional HIV testing. Got it?

Yes, lumbar disc disease can cause tingling in your legs.

Stop chasing a disease you could not possibly have!

Anonymous and other types of contributions are always warmly welcomed and urgently needed. Just include a note with your donation that you want to remain anonymous and we won't send you back a thank-you letter or any documentation whatsoever, OK?

Many thanks. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hello
Next
Are you OK Dr. Bob?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.