Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LGV (lymphogranuloma venereum) Please answer
May 4, 2005

Hi Doctor,

While reading the archive, I came across a post about LGV (lymphogranuloma venereum). The post is located at URL http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q163965.html

titled and dated respectively Experiencing symptoms? Read This! , Posted: Mar 27, 2005.

Briefly, in that post a lady is telling a story about her husband who got lymphogranuloma venereum during an intercourse with a sex worker when the condom broke. She stated that she and her husband had a protected intercourse (using a condom) quote Then had sex with me using a condom, (no breaks) thinking he was being overly cautious protecting me from any possible STD's End Quote.

Now, in spite of that fact She and her husband had a protected sex, she got the lymphogranuloma venereum.

My question is could the lymphogranuloma venereum penetrate the latex unbroken condoms?

Thank You.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Latex condoms are impermeable to particles the size of STD germs, including Lymphogranuloma venereum, a rare type of Chlamydia. That we know from laboratory studies. What we do not know is whether the questioner you quoted used a latex condom properly or not.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv test+window period
Next
No symptoms = no HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.