Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv test+window period
May 4, 2005

Dear Dr Frascino,

First of all, pardon me for my bad english but I'm french and did not practice often my english.

My question concerns the window period because I notice some differences between France and U.S in non infection of HIV regarding to the delays.

Indeed, in France, Ministery of Health (and the famoust french assocation "Sida Info Service")explains that a hiv test after 3 months is 100% sure. Nevertheless, in US I didn't find such assertion. I often read 6 months to be extra sure.

How do you explain such differences between this two countries which have both hig activity in AIDS research ?

The background of my question is reassurance. I had unprotected vaginal sex 5 months ago. I maid two tests after 70 days and 100 days which are both negatives.

I had a lot of symptoms in the last 2 months (flu due to influenza said my doctor)but still a white tongue with few candida albicans.

May I retest or are you agree with the french health government with a test after 12 weeks.

Thank you for your friendly response.

N.B.: note that your website is often watched in France

Response from Dr. Frascino

Salut!

J'essayerai de te répondre en français. Malheureusement je ne peux pas expliquer les différences entre Les Etats-Unis et la France en concernant l'époque de fenêtre. (Je sais que cela n'est pas la phrase correcte, mais j'espère que ça marche.) Moi, je suis d'accord avec les français : pour la plupart, trois mois suffisent !

Dans ton cas spécifique, je ne crois pas que tu ais besoin d'analyses supplémentaires. Tu es séronégatif ! Si tu veux, tu peux te faire tester encore, mais je ne pense pas que ce soit nécessaire.

Donne le bonjour de ma part à tous mes amis dans l'Hexagone !

Bisettes et vive les crêpes Suzettes!

Dr. Bob

Previous
You'll always be my calendar man!
Next
LGV (lymphogranuloma venereum) Please answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.