SOS Dr. Bob, I'm screwed!

Dear Dr. I am a 26 yr old heterosexual male who's had about a dozen unprotected sex encounters over the course of my life. Unfortunetly, the one in question......I'm sure i've contracted HIV. I was drunk and had sex with a girl who was on her period......about 2 weeks later I went to San Diego, ate some shady food and drink, and the next day came down with fever, chills and dry heaves. It was resolved in 12 hours, does this sound like ARS to you. Now, I am experiencing floaters in my eyesight, I noticed genital warts on my penis (which the doctor said was rare for a male not immunocomprised to experience), and frequent jock itch infections........My question is, would symptoms of CMV be exhibited so early? Also, arent all these symptoms, combined with my sexual risk history a bit too much of a coincidence to NOT be HIV? Thank you and a donation is coming!

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HPV (genital warts) and HIV.

Your symptoms are not consistent with CMV. I don't know what your physician was talking about, but genital warts on the penis are certainly not uncommon in HIV-negative guys with completely normal immune systems.

Regarding symptoms and HIV, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease.

My advice is simple: since you've placed yourself at risk, you should be HIV tested at the three-month mark, whether or not you have any symptoms. It really is just that straightforward.

SOS, you are not screwed! You are scared because you screwed without adequate protection!

I'll send you my best good-luck karma, OK?

Afraid i caught new strain!!
Acupuncture question and Donation from Saudi Arabia please answer I am very worried