Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please don't ignore me again - in the fetal position freaking out
Apr 11, 2005

Hi Dr. Bob. I've tried a couple of times to no avail. Hopefully you will finally respond to my inquiry. I am a big fan and admire your humour and patience dealing with all of these questions (except mine until now hopefully).

Anyway, I had unprotected insertive oral and protected instertive anal but I was quite toasted at the time and honestly can't speak for any breakage, slippage or mistakeage with the condom. About 4 1/2 days later, I developed a slight sore throat on one side with a slightly swollen tonsil. This was more or less my only symptom other than lack of appetite and tiredness (which I attribute more to fear and lack of sleep). But the sore throat, I cannot attribute to anything other than ARS. Saw a doc at an medical center known for HIV expertise and she felt that it was unlikely that this could be ARS. I had a neg strep test. Sore throat was gone after about 4 days. I'd love to believe her but I simply am having a hard time. I know you can't diagnose on symptoms alone but it would help me make it through the window period until I can test if you could let me know what your thoughts are. Also, isn't it to my advantage to diagnose during the acute phase and "hit it fast and early" with the drugs to lower my viral set point. I don't know what I am talking about but I read that somewhere. ( Internet /TMI is a dangerous thing). Thanks in advance as I know you will answer this one. Donation to follow.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Freaking Out,

First of all, get out of the fetal position. You look downright silly.

Next, what do you mean you "cannot attribute your sore throat to anything other than ARS???" That's like saying you can't attribute a headache to anything other than a rare massive brain tumor. Gazillions of folks have sore throats everyday, not really "attributed" to anything, and certainly not to HIV. You saw a physician with HIV expertise who told you not to worry about ARS. I suggest you believe her.

Don't worry about "hit it fast and early," which, by the way, is really "hit early, hit hard," because it does not apply to your situation at all.

Your HIV risk unprotected insertive oral and protected insertive anal is extremely small, if the latex condom was used properly. Since you are not sure about "mistakeage," get tested at the three-month mark, but stop torturing yourself with needless worry in the interim, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No Question, just a thank you note, a huge hug, and tons of love from Soaked to the Boner
Next
God bless you!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.