WHO REALLY KNOWS!

Hey Doc,

This is my 4th try looking for some advice. I read the archives and I did not see my question answered. Can a person have HIV created symptoms and still test negative on the ELISA and DNA PCR? The CDC help line is retarded! I think they pulled anyone off the street and told them to repeat "Test at 3 months and at 6 months." And, "if you had unprotected sex of any kind oral or vaginal you probably are infected." I could not get in to see my doc right away so I went to the local county health department. The person I spoke with said "there is no difference between HIV and AIDS." Also, "if you have no discharge you could not have anything else." She said test at 6 months. 3 months is not a good test time. I got in to see my doc. He told me that "condoms don't help with HIV and HPV." Those viruses can slip through condoms so it does not matter if the condom broke or intact or what kind of condom it was. He did order HIV,Herpes, HPV, Gon, and Clamydia tests. I had an ELISA test and DNA PCR test at 28 days--both negative. Is it possible to have no antibodies or HIV DNA in the bloodstream and experience night sweats and swollen lymph nodes. I also get light headed and dizzy during the day. My doc put me on tetracycline. He said if it is bacterial this should clear it up. I cannot deal with the uncertainty. I would much rather donate the money to your organiztion than spend it on another PCR. I had a condom break during insertive oral. I was doing the inserting. I immeadiatly stopped. The weird thing is I did not not even consider HIV until I started experiencing these symptoms. I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND! I think I would have been better off if my test would have come back positive that way I can move forward. I cannot move forward with this dark cloud of uncertainty hanging over my head. Doc, I bet your a busy man so I hope you do have time to answer me. Best Regards, Don't know who to beleive.

Hello Don't Know Who to Believe,

The answers to your questions are indeed in the archives, so I'll be brief and refer you back there for additional details, OK?

1. HIV cannot "create symptoms" if you are not HIV infected.

2. Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission. That low risk is even lower for the insertive partner. The risk becomes essentially nonexistent if a latex condom is used.

3. HIV disease means you are HIV infected. AIDS is a specific diagnosis characterized by being HIV positive and having certain opportunistic illnesses or a CD4 count that has fallen below 200.

4. Latex condoms are impermeable to particles the size of STD pathogens, including HIV. HPV is spread by skin-to-skin contact. Neither HPV nor HIV can "slip through" condoms.

5. I do not recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening.

6. ELISA testing prior to three months is not considered definitive.

7. I would not recommend tetracycline for feeling "light headed and dizzy . . . night sweats . . . and swollen lymph nodes . . . ."

8. Your HIV risk from the condom breaking while having insertive oral sex where you "immediately stopped" is essentially nonexistent.

9. It would definitely not have been better to test positive.

I see no reason for worry or concern, let alone losing your mind. The "uncertainty hanging over your head" is far from a dark cloud. In fact, it's more like a faint wisp of light fog. Personally, I do not feel you had a significant HIV risk that even requires testing. However, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk, get HIV tested (ELISA) at the three-month mark to put your mind at ease. The test will be negative.

I would also suggest you consider searching for a new physician. The one you currently have seems woefully out of touch and misinformed.

weird test result pls help!
Am I a Dead man now!! Trying for weeks.