Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Yours in comedy...Test Q and A
Apr 6, 2005

Well, well, well...deep subject (lame joke of the day)

What's new? I know you are staying busy, as the mail keeps floodin' in...but here's one more, just for fun.

It is regarding a Rapid Test that I have taken. There seem to be rapid questions coming in about these tests!

In a response that was dated on October 14, 2003, you mentioned (in so many words) that if someone writes about the validity of this test or that, then you would discuss those specific concerns.

Well, here is my concern:

I'm looking for information regarding the "OraQuick ADVANCE Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test." Keep in mind that this is the latest oral test, to my knowledge, that was approved and shipped-out around November 2004...it is NOT the same oral test as the one approved in March (26), 2004. People at the CDC and my doctors and other professionals get confused about that...most say they have never heard of the one I am describing! No one seems to have too much information on this exact test.

There seems to be limited info on this test on the web. (I have printed off the info that is out there...including from thebody)

So here is the thing:

1)I took this new test at 13 weeks. Non-Reactive. Can I woo-hoo and trust the OraQuick ADVANCE Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test?

2) Can I get back to writing my "lame jokes" book?

Yours in comedy, Mark

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mark,

OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test is FDA-approved for HIV-1 and HIV-2 rapid testing. It has greater than 99% accuracy. It can be used with oral fluid, finger-stick whole blood, venipuncture whole blood or plasma. Results are available in 20 minutes.

So if your 13-week OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test is "non-reactive," I'd say you are indeed "well, well, well!"

Keep the "lame joke" coming, or at least "limping" along.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Freaking out 4th try doc bob, 50 donation when answered
Next
Seattle Doctors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.