Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rather spend cash on donation then on test
Apr 3, 2005

BOB!!!! Help I had an exposure 6 weeks ago within 5 days had ars symptoms really bad flu with sore throat congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath etc. Lasted 2 weeks then came headaches sore throat swollen glands and then the worst thing. I started having uncontrollable muscle spasms and thingling burning in my toes, fingers, palms and legs. Im so pale and now it looks like my palms have what look like red curled up nerve veins and are extremely sensitive to touch. I'm not a child I know what sleepy feet and hands feel like from sleeping on them etc. THese sensations happen at random and are shocking and disturbing. I had a 4 week oraquick and if someone doesent stop me Im ging to spend the $300 for a pcr. I need to know if I am a psychosomatic freak or if I have a real disease. Please Bob what do I do?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Thingling burning toes, fingers, palms and legs . . . red curled up nerve veins . . . sensations that happen at random and are shocking and disturbing . . . ." And you are wondering if you are a psychosomatic freak or have real disease. Well, if those are the two options, I'd have to lean toward the psychosomatic freak diagnosis.

I have no information about your potential "exposure." Your negative four-week OraQuick is encouraging, but not definitive. I do not recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening.

My advice would be to spend the $300 on:

1. A doctor's visit to have your symptoms properly evaluated.

2. HIV testing at the three-month mark, if you've placed yourself at risk.

3. Counseling for anxiety (if a physical cause can not be determined for your symptoms).

I agree charitable donations made in the spirit of generosity and compassion are infinitely more useful than unwarranted (and unnecessary) tests.

Good luck. I do hope you feel better very soon.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am starting to think you don't like me.... :(
Next
Woo-Who and Thank YOU!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.