Antibody time survival in lab specimens
Apr 2, 2005
Hello Doctor -
I had blood drawn for an Elisa HIV 1/2 test on Friday morning. The blood was not tested until the following Tuesday at noon. Are my test results going to be valid given the length of time that it took my blood to be processed (Antibodies not like HIV that dies quickly when exposed to air?). To repeat millions, you are an amazing, amazing wonderful person. Thanks!
Response from Dr. Frascino
Yes, your test results will be accurate. Antibodies are not "alive" like viruses.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Causes Recurring Yeast Infections And Bacteria Vaginosis?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
- What Antibiotics To Take For Gonorrhea?
- What Antibiotics Can Be Used To Cure Chlamydia?
- What Activates Shingles?
- Is Using A Condom A Guaranteed Way To Prevent Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.