Sleepless in Vancouver ( not Seattle but close enough)

Hi Dr. Bob,

Let me start by stating that you belong on next year's People Magazine's cover as Man of the Year. You are a true inspiration to the human race.

I'm a straight 28 year old male in Vancouver, British Columbia. A couple of years ago I did something which was a little out of character for me, I hooked up a one night stand with a woman who I just met ( she was in her mid 30's, I think it was that whole Ashton Kucher / Demi Moore vibe which made me do it). I do not know her HIV status. We had protected intercourse, but we performed unprotected oral on eachother. After the event we went to sleep and I woke up sweating, and about two weeks later I had about an 8 hour spell of vomitting and diarrhea ( possibly due to something I ate at a shady restaurant that same day ). I tested HIV negative at a 1 year window period before I hooked up with her ( okay I know, so it was a slow year sexually what can I say?)

My question is based on the type of exposure I had with this woman ( uprotected oral ) and the type/timing of these symptoms, should I be worried at all about possibly having contracted HIV from this encounter? And can acute retroviral syndrome last for less than 24 hours?

And finally, do you ever come up to Vancouver? If so the first round is on me!!

You Rock Dr. Bob! Canada loves you!!

Hello Sleepless in Vancouver,

1. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission.

2. Your symptoms are much more consistent with shady restaurant food poisoning than HIV. You are correct: ARS does not come and go within a 24-hour period.

3. Since you have been worried about this for "a couple of years," if you feel you've placed yourself at risk, why not get tested for piece of mind. Results are available within 20 mins.

4. Not having sex for a year is more than a slow year sexually; it's a dry spell of Biblical proportions.

5. If you look anything like Ashton Kucher, dry spells shouldn't really be your problem.

6. I think Demi passed her "mid thirties" some time ago.

7. I love Canada! Canada hates Bush (the political kind, not the Demi Moore kind).

Stay well, "Ashton!" Now get some sleep. Your worries are unwarranted!

The hour's over
HIV=Help I'm Very scared!!!