|Sleepless in Vancouver ( not Seattle but close enough)
Mar 28, 2005
Hi Dr. Bob,
Let me start by stating that you belong on next year's People Magazine's cover as Man of the Year. You are a true inspiration to the human race.
I'm a straight 28 year old male in Vancouver, British Columbia. A couple of years ago I did something which was a little out of character for me, I hooked up a one night stand with a woman who I just met ( she was in her mid 30's, I think it was that whole Ashton Kucher / Demi Moore vibe which made me do it). I do not know her HIV status. We had protected intercourse, but we performed unprotected oral on eachother. After the event we went to sleep and I woke up sweating, and about two weeks later I had about an 8 hour spell of vomitting and diarrhea ( possibly due to something I ate at a shady restaurant that same day ). I tested HIV negative at a 1 year window period before I hooked up with her ( okay I know, so it was a slow year sexually what can I say?)
My question is based on the type of exposure I had with this woman ( uprotected oral ) and the type/timing of these symptoms, should I be worried at all about possibly having contracted HIV from this encounter? And can acute retroviral syndrome last for less than 24 hours?
And finally, do you ever come up to Vancouver? If so the first round is on me!!
You Rock Dr. Bob! Canada loves you!!
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello Sleepless in Vancouver,
2. Your symptoms are much more consistent with shady restaurant food poisoning than HIV. You are correct: ARS does not come and go within a 24-hour period.
3. Since you have been worried about this for "a couple of years," if you feel you've placed yourself at risk, why not get tested for piece of mind. Results are available within 20 mins.
4. Not having sex for a year is more than a slow year sexually; it's a dry spell of Biblical proportions.
5. If you look anything like Ashton Kucher, dry spells shouldn't really be your problem.
6. I think Demi passed her "mid thirties" some time ago.
7. I love Canada! Canada hates Bush (the political kind, not the Demi Moore kind).
Stay well, "Ashton!" Now get some sleep. Your worries are unwarranted!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.