Dr. Bob's Dating Tips, or Should I Stop This Train?

Dr. Bob, I've been reading your site daily for at least a year, and have concluded that you are 1) a MAJOR hottie, 2) very funny, and 3) about the only source of consistently accurate information I've found.

Here it is: I lived through the initial hysteria of the 80s when AIDS first reared its ugly head, and I was one of those good boys who took all the safe-sex messaging to heart. Maybe TOO much to heart, in that I was terrified of sex, any sex, for the better part of two decades. I still practice safe sex, however, and I'm not as terrified as I used to be.

I've completely avoided anal sex for years, which is something I very much enjoy. Now I have a new boyfriend who wants to try it, with me being the receptive partner. There is no talk of barebacking, since I would never consider that under any circumstances. (My policy is to assume that any potential sex partner is HIV positive and proceed accordingly.)

So, your opinion, please: Should I stop this train before it leaves the station? Or can I really and truly put my faith in his Trojenz? Our next date is next Monday -- please RUSH a response! ;-)

Thank you for the heroic work you do!

Well, since today is Tuesday, looks like I missed the Monday-night deadline. So tell me: what happened? Inquiring minds want to know!

In case you are still trying to decide whether or not to "ride" the train, I suggest you review what we know about condoms and their ability to help prevent HIV transmission. The HIV InSite Web site at http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-07-02-02 is a good site for this basic information. Then based on this information and what feels safe enough for your individual comfort level, you should have a very clear indication on whether to jump on board or not.

Probably The Craziest Person on Earth....
STI from using a penis sleeve?