I was the Chosen One

Dear Dr Bob

How are you? Hope you are well and happy.

To re-introduce myself, I'm the idiot who posted a question back in November last year (www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/OralSex/Q161180.html).

After my post, I went on to develop a sore throat and had further 'flu-like' symptoms. My wife did not suffer the same symptoms (as she usually does given that we invariably colds, flu etc. on to each other).

So, despite your advice to the contrary, I continued to self-diagnose, using my unquestionable talents as an internet educated doctor. Inevitably I would find sites that indicated that my suffering from symptoms only 3 days after exposure was relatively common. All of the symptoms also fit the bill in terms of ARS too.

Also, there was matter of the massage oil - naturally I convinced myself that the sex worker had applied the massage oil (oil based lubricant) to the condom, thereby degrading the latex and allowing the virus to transmit through the consequent microscopic tears in the condom via the blood that I naturally imagined to be sloshing about in her mouth. A logical and rational conclusion, I am sure you will agree.

You will probably have guessed by now that I've received my HIV test results, based on blood taken 98 days after the event, and that those results were negative. Based on your other posts, I think I know the answer but permission to WOO-HOO..?

Through an incredibly stressful last three months, where I have had to confront the possibility of losing the one person that I love the most in this world (i.e. my wife, not myself) and, less importantly (in a relative sense), the possibility of having caught the HIV virus, I have found immesurable comfort your answers to questions on this forum.

Every time I came up with some hair-brained scenario, a quick check of the archives would usually dispel my irrational worries. I was also really grateful for answer to my original post, which arrived as I was in the middle of whatever innocuous bout of the flu/stress that I was suffering from.

If I can offer any advice to those looking for answers through this forum, it would be to carefully read the archives and believe what the Doc says. You cannot, of course, offer any guarantees and you quite rightly recommend testing where there is doubt, but it is refreshing, amongst the mass of vague, misleading and panic-inducing descriptions of HIV/ARS symptoms out there, that you have the guts to offer a firm view, either way.

I'd also suggest that a quick check of the archives using the search criteria "Woo-hoo" should provide further comfort for those in doubt. The nummer of times that people suffered "all of the symptoms in the book" and came out negative at the end of it is staggering. I certainly put myself in that catergory - I was ticking off those symptoms left, right and centre.

Anyway, I'll not take up any more of your precious time Dr Bob. Best wishes to you and your partner in the future. I may not check the forum quite as often now (!) but I'll do so every so often, to make sure you're still being kept busy with more fruitloop questions from the likes of me!! Keep up the great work, please.

And health and happiness to all those reading (worried or not).

cheers Yet another Woo-hoo'er. Hi Dr Bob

Just a supplemental to the last post from me (send a couple of minutes ago). When I said "I was the Chosen One" in the title, I wasn't wanting to suggest that I am Jesus Christ resurrected, or any other earth-bound deity you might choose to think of. What I actually meant was that prior to receiving my test results I had convinced myself, despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary, that I was going to the first documented case of contracting HIV through receptive oral sex using a condom. And surprise, surprise - turns out I'm going to need to find some other way to make medical history.

cheers again The 'yet another woo-hoo'er'guy

Hello Yet Another WOO-HOOer,

Yes, I say you are definitely WOO-HOO-ably WOO-HOO-able!

Thanks for mentioning the archives. I truly believe many anxious folks could find reassurance there if they would take a moment to search!

Thanks also for clearing up that "Chosen One" thing. I was beginning to wonder if maybe The Rapture had occurred and that I had been "left behind" (as in that popular and moronic faith-based science fiction series).

Stay well!

questions
Can I woooooooooo...