3rd time's the charm!

Dr. Bob, I tried asking this before but I know you are inundated by people who want your counsel. I was given unprotected oral by someone of unknown HIV status. He had a nose bleed, and before I knew it, there was blood on my shaft and on my urethra. How risky is this behavior exactly? I think I read that sharing needles have a 1 in 400 chance of contracting HIV so I think this would be less. Please answer me.

Concerned in NYC

P.S. I've given money to your foundation under my real name and was impressed when I got a thank you note. Is there anything you don't know about?!!?

Hi Concerned NYC-Guy,

As you can probably guess, we don't have any exact statistics on this particular complication while having one's skin flute tooted. I do agree with you that the estimated risk would be less than for sharing needles with a person known to be HIV positive much, much less. Getting tested three months or more after this incident will give you a definitive answer.

You're welcome for the thank-you note. And yes, there are lots of things I don't know about. For instance I still have absolutely no idea what went on inside Dick Cheney's secret energy task force. But with the results being drilling in Alaska plus sky high oil prices I can certainly see why he would prefer I (and the rest of the world) not know about that!

Stay well,

question about donation -2
questions